Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First thread :smile: let us see how it goes.

I need a bike for my daily commuting. It will be about 10-15 minutes highway plus 10-15 minutes in the city possibly with traffic. I also would like to take the bike for short trips every once in a while. Nothing more than 400 miles in one day, and not for consecutive days.

After some thought I am thinking that the R 1200 RS or the R 1250 RS will fit perfectly my needs. I am more inclined to wait for the 1250 because I really like the new instrument cluster, among other things. My next option would be the S1000XR. But I am not really the supersport type, so I think it may be too much power to handle.

Am I missing something? Do you guys have any other suggestion? My main concern is that the bike might be too heavy and hard to handle in city and when I hit the traffic.

Some of my background: I started with a Ninja 250 back in 2010. In 2015 I got a BMW G650GS. I used both bikes for daily commuting in town. I really like the handling of my 650 for my commuting but hated when I tried short trips (about 150 miles each way) on it. Since now my commute will have some highway I wanna something else.

Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

First thread :smile: let us see how it goes.

I need a bike for my daily commuting. It will be about 10-15 minutes highway plus 10-15 minutes in the city possibly with traffic. I also would like to take the bike for short trips every once in a while. Nothing more than 400 miles in one day, and not for consecutive days.

After some thought I am thinking that the R 1200 RS or the R 1250 RS will fit perfectly my needs. I am more inclined to wait for the 1250 because I really like the new instrument cluster, among other things. My next option would be the S1000XR. But I am not really the supersport type, so I think it may be too much power to handle.

Am I missing something? Do you guys have any other suggestion? My main concern is that the bike might be too heavy and hard to handle in city and when I hit the traffic.

Some of my background: I started with a Ninja 250 back in 2010. In 2015 I got a BMW G650GS. I used both bikes for daily commuting in town. I really like the handling of my 650 for my commuting but hated when I tried short trips (about 150 miles each way) on it. Since now my commute will have some highway I wanna something else.

Thank you in advance for any help!
That new instrument cluster is bananas......Love it. That R 1250 RS sure looks like a supersport bike to me.....Bottom line it's what you like, me I gotta have music so I ride that RT love it.......

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Where do you live and what city will you be commuting through or to?

I've had 5 Beemers, 4 R series and 1 K1200LTC and I love the brand!

Personally, for your short commute, I would stay away from the S1000XR as it may be 'overkill' with your past experience and in heavy traffic.

Maintenance on the 'R' series bikes is easy and cheap with the 'JUGS,' right out in the open, unlike the 'XR,' where everything is hidden and expensive to maintain.

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Dondiwho and Porky/Sam!

Porky, answering your question, I will commute from Short Pump to Richmond VA. It is about 25 minutes commute and a big part of it is at the 64. It is not very often, but sometimes I have to go to DC or Charlottesville for work (about 100 miles each way). My short trips would be, for example, to Shenandoah National Park (130 miles) and State Collage PA (300 miles).

My 2 concerns are that I will probably hit traffic and I am afraid the 1250 RS will be too heavy/hot during traffic. The second concern is that it may not be good enough for 300 miles touring.

I need daily commute plus touring and am hoping the 1250 RS can do both reasonably well (specially because of its price tag).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts