Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends my name is Drew I just recently bought a 2004 BMW r1150r non ABS model. It has 29500 miles red I bought it from the second owner I am wondering if any of you can help me out with service tips the clutch fluid brake fluid, fork oil replacement/seals
I am pretty handy with a wrench but it's been some years since I wrenched on bikes I worked in the motorcycle industry as a mechanic for a few years but was never very fast and then I switched into the motorcycle industry sales.
This is my first BMW I've ever owned. It rides and drives incredibly well the last owner owned it for 8 years he never changed the fork oil or any of the brake or clutch fluids it was always stored inside a climate-controlled garage. I am wanting to do a major service on it.
Including the v belt.
From everything I understand these bikes are pretty easy to work on being the boxster twin.
Some of the questions I have are about bleeding the front brakes because there is two rotors and two calipers if I remember correctly you need to bleed the one with the longest line first and then the shorter line?
I live close to Asheville North Carolina if there is any BMW riders who are avid mechanics as well or if anybody knows of a good third-party not BMW dealership mechanic. I would be very interested in connecting with someone who works on these bikes regularly that does not charge $159 an hour. I spoke with Eurosport of Asheville. I think I can do a lot of this work myself and I have quite a bit of tools I just am having a hard time of where to start.
also if there's any avid BMW riders in the local Asheville area I would love to connect with some of you all.

Please feel free to contact me 82838 6 8106

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!!

Congrat's on your Beemer, they are wonderful bikes and I've had 5, 4 'R' series and one 'K' series:)
I would suggest that you bite the bullet and have a complete service done at a dealership and although expensive, you will have peace of mind. You can also look for an Independent shop of good reputation and have them do the job.

Alternatively, look for YouTube videos on 'bleeding non-ABS brakes' on your model Scoot. Valve adjustments are a snap since those 'JUG'S,' stick right out in the open. Oil and filter, final drive (Don't use synthetic) and gearbox maintenance is super easy too.

Send us some pictures when you can and anymore questions you may need answered, as there are lots of Beemer Folks here and knowledgeable motorcycle mechanics too.

Sam:)

·
Zip
2,606 Posts
With the telelever front suspension on your R1150R the oil in the forks is only for lubrication. It does not perform any operational aspect of the front suspension (unlike traditional front forks). The only time you need to concern yourself with it is if the seals start leaking so badly that you must replace them. This is rare; usually just adding some seal conditioner will solve most leaks.

If you don't already have a Clymer's manual for your bike, I strongly encourage you to get one.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I also 2nd the service manual, they're golden. Like Porky stated, there's also a lot of that info on Youtube, there's just about a video for everything available now. I find myself looking at YouTube videos from time to time whenever I'm doing certain projects. Also just an fyi, you really should edit your post and remove your phone number, if not every spammer in the world will have it, if not already. You can privately exchange phone numbers in the PM's once you have whatever number of posts are required to use PM"s. Post away...:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
Welcome aboard, there are several BMW riders here. One of them should be able to help, altho you seem to have some important info already. Second on removing your phone #

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Don't know how I missed you but I did. Anyway...
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts