Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know. R1100 transmissions have always been known as clunky devices. I am wondering if anyone has had luck with a different transmission oil or if there is a secret to adjusting the linkage. I have had the bike for 7 years after many, many years of slick shifting Japanese bikes and still can't get comfortable with the tractor trannie in my BMW.

· SUPER MODERATOR
7,681 Posts
Beemer person here, having owned 5, all 'R' series except for a K1200 LTC, so here's my humble opinion:

Since the gearbox is separate from the engine oil, you can try different weights but please don't use a synthetic oil or you may 'cause' oil leaks:surprise:

Synthetic is so 'slick' that it has a tendency, especially on older high mileage BMW's to seep past gaskets and O-rings:sad:

Believe it or not, some mechanics confronted with leaks to repair, tighten all nuts and bolts and use a 'Dyno, non synthetic' oil and the gaskets and O-rings will 'swell up,' and sometimes stop the leaks cold:grin:

Sam:grin:

· Gone
20,523 Posts
Most Japanese bikes use helical cut gears, which most of the time feel smoother when shifting. Straight cut gears, while durable, are a bit more clunky in feel. Either will get the job of shifting done. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just enjoy the ride.

· SUPER MODERATOR
7,681 Posts
The R series BMW's that I've owned shifted as good and silently as most JAP bikes I've owned. The best transmissions as far as smoothness has been on my Suzuki's :grin:

The only straight cut gears I remember were on the K75, 3 cylinder Beemer and they were really noisy:surprise:

If you don't like a noisy gearbox, then don't go near and early Polaris Victory 92:surprise:

It's a gear box so try a real heavy, automotive gear and rear end oil and see what happens! Lots of Zinc makes it smell bad and work good:smile:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.