Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're in this forum, chances are you have a BMW motorcycle. So go on, join me and post a pic of your ride. Best picture wins nothing but lots of praise and drool!

This is a picture of my 1984 BMW R100RT.

Attachments

·
Wrench. Ride. Repeat.
239 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of my bike from last year. Had a little "mis-hap" with it in October, and it's being put back together. We'll be back on the road in no time!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's Vroomhilde - fresh from a long voyage (from Manila):

and another with the wife aboard:

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow, very well maintained rides!
i really want BMW motorcycle rides! But, the only ride that i have now is a honda. thats the only thing that i can afford right now...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you had any rear drive or broken shift linkage problems ?
no i havent. but i do have a fried spark plug on the left cyclinder head. will have to have a helicoil inserted. sometimes at higher speeds my bike wont cleanly downshit from 5 to 4 to 3. it will sometimes miss and hit neutral. and then i have to up shift to 5 and bang a little harder to bring down cleanly.

·
Wrench. Ride. Repeat.
239 Posts
no i havent. but i do have a fried spark plug on the left cyclinder head. will have to have a helicoil inserted. sometimes at higher speeds my bike wont cleanly downshit from 5 to 4 to 3. it will sometimes miss and hit neutral. and then i have to up shift to 5 and bang a little harder to bring down cleanly.
Your best bet: Get a used head on e-bay.
As far as the transmission; BMW's are different to shift. You have to "pre-load" the shift. I would advise you to pull the drain plug and look at the gear oil. If it has fine particles, you're OK. If you have particles where you can feel between your fingers, you might be in some trouble. Some of the BMW's had/have a problem with their transmissions, a missing cir-clip which will cause the tranny to fail. Make sure all your fluids are up to snuff, everything is adjusted properly. I have found through a LOT of reading these bikes can be a bit finicky.
Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your best bet: Get a used head on e-bay.
As far as the transmission; BMW's are different to shift. You have to "pre-load" the shift. I would advise you to pull the drain plug and look at the gear oil. If it has fine particles, you're OK. If you have particles where you can feel between your fingers, you might be in some trouble. Some of the BMW's had/have a problem with their transmissions, a missing cir-clip which will cause the tranny to fail. Make sure all your fluids are up to snuff, everything is adjusted properly. I have found through a LOT of reading these bikes can be a bit finicky.
Good Luck!:)
yeh, a mechanic today advised me to perhaps consider another head. so, what do these normally run $$$? i paid 3500 for the bike. thanks all for input

·
Registered
9 Posts
heads

thanks a bunch. you folks are like having a personal mechanic on hand. will advise my mechanic. there was also some talk about plugging the bottom two spark plugs. apparently my previous owner (im the second one) had the engine "blocked" for unleaded gas.
paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's my 2001 R1100S. Cee Bailey's touring windscreen, Corbin seat, Ilmberger carbon fiber front fender, rear fender eliminator kit, adjustable rearset footpegs.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts