Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Lately I have been looking for a cheap and solid commuter bike, that I can use all year round (4 - 5 days a week for about 3 years).
The ride is going to be 45 km one way and 45 km the other way home, which totals 90 - 100 km on an average day.
I am going to be driving at about 80 KM/H most of the time, except from when I am entering town.

For this I have been looking at the MT-125 and the G310R because they both have good MPG. I really like that the MT-125 has such high MPG, but I am afraid that since it has less HP, that constantly driving at 80 KM/H will destroy the bike faster over time than driving with the G310R that has more HP and probably handles those speeds better over more time.

Any advice concerning those two bikes would be appreciated, and if you know any commuter bikes that are better, please feel free to mention those too.

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
247 Posts
You're looking for a cheap. Okay stop right there, and get the BMW off your list. Have you considered the extra $ they charge for pretty much everything especially service labor? Yeah their build quality is nice but BMW and the word cheap don't typically go together, but i'm just going to leave this here and you can decide for yourself if it's worth it or not...same model bike; G310R on it's first check in. And i'd be kind of impressed if you could destroy that Yamaha from just commuting. As long as you have some kind of liquid in the engine that somewhat resembles oil and some type of liquid in the radiator it'd be a pretty hard bike to kill.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@RedRooster
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but couldn't you just do service labor and repairs through another mechanic that isn't associated with the store where you originally bought it?
Also, is it expensive because the individual parts for replacement are expensive? If not, what makes it so expensive then?

Can I also ask specifically what you had to repair and do service on and how many kilometers you drove before you had to get it serviced?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would suggest that fit on a motorcycle is very important. Sometimes a bike looks great on paper, but doesn't work after trying it out. I would try going to sit on some motorcycles to see what you do and do not like. There's lots of good bikes in the 300cc segment like the Honda CB300, KTM Duke 390, Kawasaki Versys 300, Ninja 400 or Z400, Yamaha R3 or MT-3 to name a few. Might want to consider a used one too if you're a newb. The chances you''ll drop it are pretty high. so you'll take a much lower depreciation hit over buying a new one. In my experience for longer rides, a bike with a more upright seating position tends to be more comfortable but get what's good for you. Good Luck.

·
7,927 Posts
The BMW G310 is a fantastic bike and is super easy to service by ones self. 4 stroke engine is reliable.

The repair order above is confusing because it isn't in American dollars but in INDIAN currency and you being in Denmark also have different currency.

Here's a link to the Dealer in India that did the service:

The first and subsequent services here in the USA on the G310 are just a little more than other similar bikes.

The Yamaha MT-125 looks to be another nice LITTLE entry level bike and service would undoubtedly be cheaper with more Dealers available. Here's a little video:

I would ride both bikes and then decide. Good luck!

Sam:)

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
247 Posts
@RedRooster
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but couldn't you just do service labor and repairs through another mechanic that isn't associated with the store where you originally bought it?
Also, is it expensive because the individual parts for replacement are expensive? If not, what makes it so expensive then?

Can I also ask specifically what you had to repair and do service on and how many kilometers you drove before you had to get it serviced?
Yes but a lot of mechanics will charge more for higher end brands because they are usually advanced let me not say advanced, they just build it stuff differently compared to Japanese bikes and require some experience. And yes the parts are usually going to be more expensive aswell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts