Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends!

This is my first topic here, and I start with a question! I've just finished taking my bike license and now I need to buy my first bike!

I've been looking for ages for the right bike, and I must say that Triumph's new-old classics hit number one, specially the Scrambler and the T100, yet they don't really fit my needs right now. They are pretty heavy and they 'drink gasoline' as hell.

The thing is, this is going to be my first bike and I want it mainly for city use. Tough traffic and all. You know... the usual!

After some search I've found a couple of bikes I really liked. These are the BMW F 800 R and the Ducati Monster. I also liked the Triumph Street Triple, yet the first two take my vote. At least for now!

What can you tell me about these bikes? Have you ride any of them? What do you think? Which of them is the best choice for the money (around 8000 euros both).

Like I said, this is mainly for city use. I want an agile bike with good ergonomics. Yeah, I'm a 1,90 meters guy with over 90 Kg.

If you have any opinions about other bikes that are similar to these within this price range, please let me know as well!

Speak out people! :icon_cool: :biggrin:

Cheers! :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The monster has been among the top choices for bikers who mainly run in the city. Good speed, very nice ride, highly maneuverable through the traffic... and looks insane! :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
well on one hand you have one of the best looking bikes on the market and in the other corner you have the ugliest bikes on the market.

So it just depends on what look you're going for. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
The BMW isn't THAT ugly... just looks like it's crosseyed.
I sit corrected. I was thinking of the f800s.

The F800r is actually kinda cool looking. Different for sure, but not really in a bad way.

Are BMWs really that much cheaper than Ducatis to maintain?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Iunno, but those Desmodromic valves are expensive to get adjusted, $600-1000, especially every 7,500 miles.
Yup, but its the only design I know of in a production motorcycle that forces the valve open AND closed, allowing higher rpms sans valve spring. Pretty freaking cool design if you ask me. But just expensive to own...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yup, but its the only design I know of in a production motorcycle that forces the valve open AND closed, allowing higher rpms sans valve spring. Pretty freaking cool design if you ask me. But just expensive to own...
Oh yeah, if it weren't for that they wouldn't be able to rev as high as they do. They are without a doubt cool. Just high maintenance and expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts