Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now here is a predicament for the greatest shadetree to solve.

I started disassembling my project the other day, took the fairing frame off, wiring harness next. It's a lot like most other machine in respect to having the common firing and system acouterments, like coils, TCI and of course, plug wires.

So I pull the little connectors off the individual coils so I can pull the TCI / coils, mounting frame because it is rusted bad, and just looks horrible.

I go to put the harness back on and I have taken a pencil and labeled the coils 1 2 3 4...
but the connectors I didn't label. So how do I tell which plug is for which coil...
at first it seems like it wouldn't matter, but after further evaluation, each plug would have to fire at the right time, and, unless the TCI just fires everything each spark hit, I will have to ingeniusy discover some way to tell the difference between each coil to harness connector. Now TDC comes around and fires each plug in sequence probably, so spark will tell me which one fires first...or last as the case may be. If I know the firing order is left rearward 1, left forward 2, rearward right 3, left forward 4, then watching for spark might help....awfully long way around...the manual has just bout everything else in it...:biggrin:

What do you think?

·
American Legion Rider
18,516 Posts
Sometimes you can tell by how well they reach. That's worked on cars in the past for me. You might get lucky that way too. Pay attention to any curve in the wire. I'm sure someone can just plain tell you though if you wait long enough. This being a holiday weekend you may have to wait a while.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Check the wires VERY closely. Often times they are printed with the cylinder number from the factory but they can fade out.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new bog

I have to ask myself after that great piece of work, is it worth my effort to reassemble an entire venture royale, without pulling the engine and doing a frame job, and engine detail; and then have to do it later, or would it be time efficient to do all this now while it is already torn down(I would like to do this, but I have never had an engine out of a bike)?

I sure am glad you guys are all experienced at this, and that your best ideas are at my disposal...

Where did you hide the keg?

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
thanks for the image, but that bike is finished already...
this is an XVZ12T Venture Royale and it has 4 coils, and is a nightmare without any graphics and all by itself...
You didn't say, so I assumed it was your XLT. Check out this site: http://www.yamahaventure.nl/en/diagrams.html

For stripping a frame, I would start with 'Aircraft' stripper, clean it thoroughly, then use a soft media (like walnut shell) in a blaster. After that, I hear powder coating is very good, if you can find a place with a large enough oven.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It fires!
The console lights up!,
Time to clean, mort and paint.
It is supposed to be Burgundy and maroon, but my high school colors were maroon and white, and I well hate maroon.

I think its time to use up all the old paints in my paint shelves, maybe a multi-colored, splotch and blotch would make it viable.

I did buy this real nice air brush that could return some wild and crazy designs, given some imagination and planning.

I think oxide brown is not a good thing after my XS project...
It looks too much like camo brown after a top coat.

Here I go again.... all tooled up and nowhere to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts