Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a bluetooth headset inside my helmet (and my wife's) and am curious-what affect does the quality of helmet have on the device? I am concerned because the helmet I own- $120 Speed and Strength - doesn't have the price tag of a "good helmet" and the noise might be unbearable with a bluetooth.

Thoughts? Does anything have experience with these devices?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I went with the Sena SMH-10 "kit" for the Bell Mag9 and it simply didn't have the volume necessary to overcome road noise using the little in-helmet speakers.

I'm currently in the middle of splicing in earbuds. I suggest you get a system that has a JACK for earbuds; that includes SOME Sena clamp/boom kits.

With Sena you buy the main "unit" and then a helmet clamp / boom mike kit it snaps onto.

Then again you can always start cheap ($25) and work your way up...

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
$25 bluetooth headset

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B9AM4G/...&tag=gt1net-20[/ame]

>To get the deal you have to buy from Avantree_Direct, which can be found under "Other Sellers on Amazon" on the right side. Once in the cart, apply the coupon code KU2R8XJK

>Obviously this no-name unit is not the same quality as Sena, but the reviews aren't so bad and the price makes it worth trying. You can't buy a decent pair of earbuds for $25, let alone the whole headset.

Note, this headset has a single (mono) speaker, not a (stereo OR mono) jack...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
U-Clear. They are boomless with military noise cancellation tech designed to work with any helmet. Everyone I know who has one, loves it.

http://www.uclear-digital.com/en/

Do NOT get a helmet with a built in BT.
+1 on the Uclear headset system. I'm amazed how well they work. Especially nice with our modular helmets no pesky boom mic to deal with!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I just bought a Cardo GX9, it works great. We used it for the first time this weekend and it has way more volume than we need and both of us have hearing issues. It's pricey, but IMHO well worth it.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
To answer your original question helmets vary widely, and it's seems unrelated to price or quality (imho). Take the cheek pads in/out and it's a completely different audio environment.

One full face helmet I've got is fairly quiet but if I even CRACK the visor open it whistles and creates all sorts of racket.

The only consistent thing I've found is the dinky open/close vents on most helmets don't seem to affect noise or cooling one bit!

Someday SOME helmet mfr is going to offer purpose-specific helmets for:

Noise reduction / music listening..
Hot weather (massive vents or even fluid cooled to an icebox on the pillon
Cold weather (neck gator
Eyeglass wearers
Anti-fog
Head's up display (like Skully + dash gauges....)
Built in laser/radar detector / display

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,315 Posts
I have a Cardo kit in both helmets (3/4 and full face). Bought an extra helmet set and use a single unit between them. I have no problem streaming music at a low volunm so I can hear traffic around me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm concerned more about if my helmet will reduce the noise enough to make the blutooth usable-not WHICH blutooth I should buy. I am not there yet. It sounds like though that I should be fine given we both wear full-faced helmets. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm concerned more about if my helmet will reduce the noise enough to make the blutooth usable-not WHICH blutooth I should buy. I am not there yet. It sounds like though that I should be fine given we both wear full-faced helmets. Thanks!
Whatever helmet you're looking at just be sure to peek inside it at the area where your ears are located. There needs to be a space there for the speakers to be installed, I think most headset speakers are around 2" diameter.

Both our helmets had that space. Maybe ALL helmets have it, I am not sure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We have HJC 3/4 helmets with clear face shields. We use he Sena bluetooths. We have no problems listening to our music and can hear each other over the intercom clearly whether we are two up on the Goldwing or riding separately and whether we are puttering along on back roads or doing 90 on the interstate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whatever helmet you're looking at just be sure to peek inside it at the area where your ears are located. There needs to be a space there for the speakers to be installed, I think most headset speakers are around 2" diameter.

Both our helmets had that space. Maybe ALL helmets have it, I am not sure.
Also check the quality of adhesive / Velcro. I've had mine in on my hear when ridding. Felt like a bug!

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I have the Sena SMH 10 with the purpose built Bell Mag 9 3/4 helmet. The sound is surprisingly good. It doesn't sound as good as the premium sound system in a car, but then, my helmet doesn't have the sound deadening capabilities of a Cadillac either. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts