Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few people mention that WA will ticket you in a heartbeat for having blue dot lenses. I recently asked the Washington State Patrol the question on line, and the revised law now appears to allow motorcycles of any age a blue dot taillight of not more than one inch diameter. Here is how they responded to me, and see what you make of it. Doesn't appear to allow them in turn signals though.

December 30, 2014

This is in response to your e-mail.

Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 46.37.100 (copied below for your convenience) states in part “any motorcycle regardless of age, the taillight may also contain a blue or purple insert of not more than one inch in diameter…”

Thank you for your inquiry.
Sincerely,
Equipment

RCW 46.37.100
Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, and reflectors.
(1) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

(2) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop lamp or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that on any vehicle forty or more years old, or on any motorcycle regardless of age, the taillight may also contain a blue or purple insert of not more than one inch in diameter, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found this as well for rear turn signals:

RCW 46.37.5185
Street rod and custom vehicles — Blue dot taillights.

A street rod or custom vehicle may use blue dot taillights for stop lamps, rear turning indicator lamps, rear hazard lamps, and rear reflectors. For the purposes of this section, "blue dot taillight" means a red lamp installed in the rear of a motor vehicle containing a blue or purple insert that is not more than one inch in diameter.

[2011 c 114 § 8.]

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
On the turn signals it looks to me like you'll have to go back to the definitions and see what differentiates a "motorcycle" form a "custom vehicle." If your bike can be considered as a CV you're good to go on the turn signal dots as well as the brake dots.

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
Does that little dot actually change the red glow of lights enough to be seen better in fog? I'm assuming that is the idea behind it. Maybe not?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the turn signals it looks to me like you'll have to go back to the definitions and see what differentiates a "motorcycle" form a "custom vehicle." If your bike can be considered as a CV you're good to go on the turn signal dots as well as the brake dots.
I was looking at that language too. Pretty vague, since they don't specify what they deem to be "custom". It seems to me that anything you place on your bike which is not stock...is custom.:confused:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does that little dot actually change the red glow of lights enough to be seen better in fog? I'm assuming that is the idea behind it. Maybe not?
Not sure about fog, but I've heard both sides...that they are seen better at night with the blue (because the blue spectrum is seen best at night...reason why the police went to blue and red instead of just red. And I've also heard that they don't do diddly squat for enhanced visibility.

I do know that they came stock on some vintage Harleys, and some people want to duplicate the look.

I just think they're a cool looking accessory.:)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I think they look cool too. They'd look even cooler with an actual glass lens and one of those chrome covers that say, "STOP" on them.

I never knew they were supposed to actually do anything useful.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they look cool too. They'd look even cooler with an actual glass lens and one of those chrome covers that say, "STOP" on them.

Agreed. I think the real old vintage glass ones had great color. There was very trick looking glass ornamental lighting on some vintage cars too.

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts

Most things do have a real purpose before "kids" think they are cool. You'll find that true once you grow up kiddo.:D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I grew up fast at a very young age. I'm now regressing backwards just as fast as I can!
I'm resolute in acting like an adult only when absolutely necessary. My buddy and I are always telling each other "You and I are 60 years old and grandfathers. Aren't we supposed to act like it?" :biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
Right on Bdobb. The only time to act like you're dead is when you are.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bought a used bike that had the blue dot on the taillight, road it for 2 years and got pulled over one day and when he made me play the old guessing game of "do you know why I pulled you over" a blue dot on my taillight wasn't even in my top 10 guesses. He even tried to tell me I had a switch and I kept flashing it at him lol, I offered to remove the lens and show him then he told me he didn't have time to play games, let me go with a warning I just went home and painted it black. Not even worth it to me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought a used bike that had the blue dot on the taillight, road it for 2 years and got pulled over one day and when he made me play the old guessing game of "do you know why I pulled you over" a blue dot on my taillight wasn't even in my top 10 guesses. He even tried to tell me I had a switch and I kept flashing it at him lol, I offered to remove the lens and show him then he told me he didn't have time to play games, let me go with a warning I just went home and painted it black. Not even worth it to me.
He was just miffed that you were riding, and he wasn't, or
maybe he just wanted to take a break and check out your bike.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hey law brain, what does it say about a bike riding mechanic without a license riding his bike to shows, group meetings and such? Do I really need a license? Or am I one of those "exempt" antique dealer types who only requires a clear title and proof of insurance?(ps i AM AN ARCHAEOLOGIST, AND ACCORDING TO LAW, WHEN IN THE COURSE OF MY EMPLOYMENT, i DON'T NEED ANYTHING EXCEPT MY PASSPORT.) HEH HEH HEH HEH!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts