Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Thank you for taking your time to read this and possibly help me.

I have installed new led blinkers for my 2006 Yamaha fz6. The led blinkers claim to have build in flash relays.

When my engine is turned off the blinkers seem to work properly (I believe they should run slower)

However when I turn the engine on, the blinkers hyper flash.

I have bought a 12v 2 pin blinker relay that should fix this issue, but it does not. Perhaps anyone knows what I can do next?

Thanks in advance

ColinThor

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,648 Posts
You may have to put load resistors on each light

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Do we assume both videos were made with a direct connection to battery power, no flasher in circuit? If that is true, and the flash rate is controlled only by the LEDs, then they are very Voltage sensitive - higher Voltage means faster flash. Got a link to the source of those flashers, or an instruction manual?

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
Yep, what WintrSol says. With the engine off you might have 12.5v, but when
you get it running and the it is now charging the battery, you might be getting
13.5v or more. So you just need to had some resistance for the blinker leg.
There are post that discuss this in detail if you do some searching. A multimeter
or voltmeter is a handy gadget to have. You don't need an expensive one. A
cheaper Walmart, Harbor Freight, Amazon or eBay will do for most needs on
motorcycles, scooters and electric bicycles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your reply.

These blinkers has replaced the original ones, so I used the original blinker.cables in order to connect them.

Sadly there is no manual for these blinkers, I'm trying to contact the seller through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B07V9GKTNV/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the flash relay that was supposed to fix the issue

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01CJ5SVXQ/ref=pd_aw_sbs_263_28?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CJ5SVXQ&pd_rd_r=87af0709-c995-415b-85f5-9d1d70146415&pd_rd_w=rmbsf&pd_rd_wg=iU31L&pf_rd_p=fa5594f7-1f2f-4d20-a36b-dca4a2835930&pf_rd_r=83Q8A3CPJ0DAQEM6KST9&psc=1&refRID=2V3JJFN2XKJQ465MGPTG

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
They tell you in the ad that the flash rate will vary: "mit 50-120 mal / min "

Why are both sides flashing at once? Is that in 4-way warning mode?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes these are the warning lights but it also hyper flashes when I use the turn signal to left or right, it does not make a difference

·
Registered
300 Posts
Those blinkers appear to have a built-in flasher circuit. If you can bypass the built-in internal flasher or switch it off, the LED relay you purchased should give you the slower rate you desire.

If you cannot bypass the internal flasher, placing a resistor inline with each blinker should be able to reduce the voltage to give the blink rate you want. We'd need to know the current the blinker is drawing to size the resistors. My guess would be to assume that the flashers are consuming around 20watts, and drawing around 1.5amps. If this guess is correct, a 1 ohm, 5 watt resistor should drop the 13.5 volts to 12 volts.

If you are using the internal flasher circuit, then you would not want to use the LED flasher also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
300 Posts
Would these fix the issue?

I can't read the language, but these appear to me to be parallel resistors that would allow LEDs to be substituted for incandescent lamps, while allowing the existing flasher device to keep working correctly.

The issue you are having, as I see it, is that the indicators you purchased have built-in flashers of their own, which are responding to charging voltage of ~13.5 volts rather than ~12 volts, which makes them blink more rapidly.

Parallel resistors won't drop the voltage to the indicators by much. What is needed are low value series resistors. Or, figure out how to turn the built-in flashers OFF. Or, perhaps the indicators allow adjustment of the flash rate. If you open them up, is there any sort of adjustment? One of the pictures of the indicators seems to show that there is a DIP switch inside?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts