Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
26,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this picture on another site and my back immediately started to hurt. I'm sure glad the young can still ride these kickers. I couldn't make it around the block.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Nice photo! And a cute rider!!
But I wouldn't want to ride that bike very far at all, not with
a hard tail, no front fender and no windshield.

·
American Legion Rider
26,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe she got her training as a passenger on a hardtail so she feels like this is a major step up. I just started hurting all over when I saw it. Butt and back for sure.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
Man... I love that bike. Shovelhead, kick-start, hardtail, that is so me. I'm probably older than most of you guys but I'm blessed with no back problems, nor any other problem that would keep me off of that bike. As I see it you guys look at a bike like this as "hmmm, could I do 500 miles on that thing?" And so you miss the entire point of a bike like this. It's a fun bike, made for short hops, cruising around on a short leash, just enjoying the sounds and smells of that old HD.

Speaking for myself the V-Rod is one of the most uncomfortable, back-breaking bikes I ever rode. Great engine, horrible clam-shell position. Followed closely by my brothers Ducati.

·
American Legion Rider
26,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I agree TR, it's a great bike. Wouldn't mind a bit to own it. But my back would say otherwise. Even for short bar hopping. But as you can see, that little gal has no trouble at all. I'm jealous.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
I used to ride a hardtail and have the bad back to prove it. Low rear tire pressure was the only suspension you had.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
I used to ride a hardtail and have the bad back to prove it. Low rear tire pressure was the only suspension you had.
If I remember that low tire pressure didn't help that much, mine would bounce more with lower pressure. Guess there really wasn't a happy medium with the old hardtail.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's not just her back that's taking a beating......her ears are not going to be happy with those straight pipes.

It's strictly a "look at me" poser machine.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
It's also quite likely that she doesn't give a F-k what you think:devil:

I'm not sure I could fold my 6'2' / 35" inseam onto that scoot.
We still have a lot of snow on the ground and temps in the high 30s, but the streets are mostly clear The neighbor kid ("kid"?, he's like 25) started commuting on his little Suzuki dual sport this week. I thought the same thing as hogcowboy, "Go get em' kid"

·
15,538 Posts
Yea there wasn't much wiggle room between bounce, wiggle, and hard, maybe a half pound of pressure. But damn did I look good.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
After a short visit to the big city, I noticed that stove pipes, and even some winkle pickers are back in style. Can the younger folk tell me what they are.

UK

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
After a short visit to the big city, I noticed that stove pipes, and even some winkle pickers are back in style. Can the younger folk tell me what they are.

UK
Winkle-picker is a shoe with a long pointed toe. Had them back in the 50's.
Stove-pipe is probably a reference to a style of pants. A tighter version of straight-leg pants.

·
15,538 Posts

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
It's not just her back that's taking a beating......her ears are not going to be happy with those straight pipes.

Us youngins like the straight pipes. That Buell I had was so loud it could have probably lived a double life as a siren of some kind. :devil:

But oof...good on her. I'm only 26 and my back is hurting just looking at that bike.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Winkle-picker is a shoe with a long pointed toe.
Had them back in the 50's. Stove-pipe is probably a reference to a style of pants. A tighter
version of straight-leg pants.[/QUOTE

Had a pair of black dress shoes for church 40 yrs ago, great for assaulting cockroaches
in corners.

I saw that bike and I'm thinking it has to be an old Sporty. When you really think of how hard
a ride you get, the p-nut size gas tank makes a lot of sense, I don't think many would ride
beyond a tank full on any day.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
Us youngins like the straight pipes. That Buell I had was so loud it could have probably lived a double life as a siren of some kind. :devil:

But oof...good on her. I'm only 26 and my back is hurting just looking at that bike.
I love loud pipes as well, but those have been chopped and wrapped. They would have to go and be replaced by a quality set of good pipes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I love the look of the bike but agree that it's a short distance bike for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts