Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I had ONE complaint about LEOs, it's that they see everything in black and white. No shades of gray.

To me, LEOs seem to excessively enforce the LETTER of the law, and not the spirit of the law.

I got pulled over --- and warned --- for doing 74 across the plains of Kansas. C'mon. Get real! There isn't even any traffic, much less anything to hit!

Where do LEOs set up speedtraps? Where the most accidents happen? Or where it's easiest to write tickets, like where it goes from 65 down to 55, on the approaches to towns. Hiding around corners or rises with radar, where they can't be seen. For the most part radar seems to be used MAINLY for revenue generation, rather than bolstering safety.

I started thinking about accidents, however.

There's almost always SOMEONE who broke a rule --- either speeding, crossing a centerline, passing on the right, running a red light, failure to yield right of way... and it started to make sense.

Cops constantly see the worst possible outcomes of rule violations, even small ones....so perhaps they come to associate ANY rule violation with bad things. Continually seeing that might indeed spur black vs. white thinking.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
They have a hard job. I wouldn't be able to take it. Being the first one on to a scene where there is a child killed, I'd lose it in minutes. How can they not take things like that personally. I'd be a wreck. I can't stand driving by accidents where you know someone is hurt and I will lose it if I see the white sheet pulled over something.

I don't like the fact that some LEO's pull people over for no reason at all, but don't have a problem with them pulling someone over if they broke the law. Usually my state lets you get away within 5-10 miles over speed limit, unless it's construction zone where they get double fines.

·
Hooker
921 Posts
Unfortunately, many cops are trained to believe that being suspicious of everybody and everything will save their lives.

Generally speaking, I don't like cops. However, they're not all 100% serious, black-and-white types. I had a couple of buddies up north that called me after they got pulled over with weed in the car. The cop wrote them a speeding ticket, dumped the weed out and kicked dirt all over it, and let them go without ticketing them (I believe the possession ticket would have been $300).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts