Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably already been asked, but I couldn't find it.

What is the biker salute?

My first ride on a bike in 25 years today, and I had several bikers pass going the opposite direction with arm and hand pointed to the ground. The first, I wasn't sure if it was a wave or a turn signal. I nodded or flung a few fingers up off the handlebar, just in case it was a wave. I subsequently saw a few others do the same.

I was still learning the bike, and attempted feeble waves, but I'm not really sure what the proper response is, or what it means.

When I'm behind the wheel of my truck and on the back roads raising an index finger off the wheel is usually sufficient as a "Howdy" here in Texas.

What's the scoop? Why the downward point for a wave?

Thanks,

WM

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
The downward point is what the hardcores and the wannabe hardcores use for a wave. Back in the day, when a wave meant something, the downward point meant "Slow down, trouble ahead".

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I generally use the open hand to the side palm facing the front, about level with the handlebars. It means "the road is clear ahead, have a nice ride."

The cool guys always point down.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
I prefer the "Ago".

Two fingers extended but together. I saw a picture of Giacomo Agostini waving like this to his fans at the Isle of Man. He looked like the Pope dropping a blessing on the masses, so I stole it.

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
My "biker salute" depends on what type of bike I am riding at the time. On a sporty, due to the aggresive riding position, I simply extend my hand horizontaly off of the bar and give a 2 finger "wave". On a cruiser it looks more like an actual wave but still with only 2 fingers. Don't ask where the 2 finger thing came from. It's just something I do. Don't really know why.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally man, i love it. Being out there riding especially, but also sharing the road with other riders and acknowledging one another when im completely stoked just to be there brings a smile to my face.

L

·
0 Posts
I just use the plain old open hand method. :rolleyes: I wish to gawd I could in the 1/10th of a second's time you have, do the 'Vulcan Peace Sign' but no way. :eek:

LRG :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The downward point is what the hardcores and the wannabe hardcores use for a wave. Back in the day, when a wave meant something, the downward point meant "Slow down, trouble ahead".
I had a vauge memory of that. Thanks. I don't think I want to try to be the "hardcore wannabe", so I may try to adapt something like:

I generally use the open hand to the side palm facing the front, about level with the handlebars. It means "the road is clear ahead, have a nice ride."
I like that. And may actually be something I can manage, once I get the bike figured out.

WM

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I like that. And may actually be something I can manage, once I get the bike figured out.
You can also just lift your fingers up from the handgrip, keeping the thumb around the grip. That keeps your hand really close to the controls. I use that sometimes if I'm close to shifting.

I good head nod also works if you are in the middle of clutching. The other rider will understand. :)

·
Bikes, Guns and Video Games - Ain't life grand?
601 Posts
I find it funny how people wave differently. The hardcore and wannabes seem to just drop their arm. I wave all different ways, sometimes I point, sometimes it's the 2 fingered peace sign, sometimes I just drop my arm.....I don't usually make a big deal out of it....I just do what comes naturally.

It's funny when the wind catches my hand and makes it do something I wasn't expecting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wave in the absolute "coolest" way possible...(which i just found out was an option...) then i turn around and chase down the other biker to find out what he thought of my wave... lol

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Guys, it depends on what kind of bike you ride to an extent. If I am cruising along a country highway, I'll lift my whole hand to wave at an oncoming biker (like a normal human wave). If I'm in the middle of shifting gears, it may be a quick nod or the "cool" downward drop .. my weight is on my arms on my bike, unlike the laid back cruising position.... Personally I like the Hello Kittey Wave, which makes you look like a complete dork but DOES surprise the other biker LOL!!!

YEH YEH YEH YEH... go to about 2 mins through this video <G>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmNhXVy8FUg

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It's become a personal thing, if there ever was a universally understood biker wave, it's pretty much gone. Something that still seems fairly common is the upside-down peace sign/two fingers, apart, pointed down... I've heard that this stands for "keep the rubber side down". I think it's just an easier way to give a peace sign in the wind.

My wave is: arm extended down and back so I don't have to fight wind, giving a sideways peace sign. Quick, easy, and gets the point across.

If I'm aware of police in the area, it's the "cover me" hand-over-helmet signal.

If I'm passing a bike on the side of the road, I slow down and give a thumbs up, expecting a thumbs up in return as a signal that everything is ok.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've adopted the clutch hand down and out to the side, two finger howdy do salute(also known as "chuck a deuce" not to be confused with...) . I don't want someone behind me thinking I am signaling a turn and figured that was the reason others did it. I am by no means hard core though!

·
Bikes, Guns and Video Games - Ain't life grand?
601 Posts
Guys, it depends on what kind of bike you ride to an extent. If I am cruising along a country highway, I'll lift my whole hand to wave at an oncoming biker (like a normal human wave). If I'm in the middle of shifting gears, it may be a quick nod or the "cool" downward drop .. my weight is on my arms on my bike, unlike the laid back cruising position.... Personally I like the Hello Kittey Wave, which makes you look like a complete dork but DOES surprise the other biker LOL!!!

YEH YEH YEH YEH... go to about 2 mins through this video <G>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmNhXVy8FUg
At the end, he totally chickened out!!! He should done that to the flower dude.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
I always thought just extending your arm and not giving the middle finger was a sign of respect just the fact that you were both on bikes, now during the ROT...Ride over Texas rally when there are about 50000 cruisers, and not many crotch rockets, I learned the first day that if you were on a crotch rocket, the only people that would wave back were crotch rockets, as soon as the rally ended all the cruisers went back to waving...it was kinda funny, seemed like they were only doing it to impress all their friends on cruisers by saying F these kids on their bikes that will smoke us...and on that note, I did get a few mean looks from harley riders and some choppers but I thought to myself, if they really want to talk about it, they can catch me and we can speak on it....just my opinion though

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, I went for my second ride on the road today (still on a borrowed bike, mine hasn't come in yet damnit, see mugs thread). I really felt like I had control of the bike, it was an awesome. The back roads of lewisburg are empty enough that I even had a few seconds to take in the scenery during my ride. I only have one complaint. I passed another biker for the first time. I was really excited about seeing another biker on the road. It was a nice little gixxer. My friend riding ahead of me gave him a typical biker wave, no response. "maybe he didn't see it" I thought. I gave him the biggest wave I possibly could with one hand, to no avail. I continued the ride a little disheartened. Maybe next time!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts