Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I have a 1989 Yamaha xv250. Virago. She starts fine and runs strong g for about 10 min. Then just dies. It will start back up sometimes. It had a bad tank. Rust and messed up liner. I had the tank cleaned out and re sealed. Cleaned out the carb. But still does it. I bypasses the vaccume fuel pump. Works fine this way. The last time she died when I tried to start her j had no power for about 5 min. No lights no horn nothing. Then everything just came back. I'm thinking electrical. But don't know where to start short of systematically replacing wires one by one. Or if anyone has any ideas on what the problem could be. Please help.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Howdy all. I have a 1989 Yamaha xv250. Virago. She starts fine and runs strong g for about 10 min. Then just dies. It will start back up sometimes. It had a bad tank. Rust and messed up liner. I had the tank cleaned out and re sealed. Cleaned out the carb. But still does it. I bypasses the vaccume fuel pump. Works fine this way. The last time she died when I tried to start her j had no power for about 5 min. No lights no horn nothing. Then everything just came back. I'm thinking electrical. But don't know where to start short of systematically replacing wires one by one. Or if anyone has any ideas on what the problem could be. Please help.
Hi Matt... Let me start by saying you're kinda confusing me a bit. I am an actual motorcycle mechanic (like a few other members here) and I want to help you. Firstly, let us clarify your original post. My gut instinct tells me to ignore the part of your post where you talk about the tank and carb fixes. I'm also not a big fan of noobs trying to redesign Yamahas fuel control system, BUT I realize it can be done. That all said:

First thing, how old is the battery? Sometimes an aged battery can cause what you're experiencing.

Secondly: When it "dies", does it die like it's running out of gas (stutters,sputters and then dead), or is it like someone switched off the key?

I kinda think you are right in your diagnosis that the prob is electrical. But what you gotta do is troubleshoot it when it actually dies and won't restart.

A bike that old can develop electrical issues quite easily. Start with the battery, then look at anything else that can interrupt power to the ignition system... such as the side stand switch, the right-handlebar run switch, and the two things most prone to heat failure.. the ignition coils and pick-up coil.

Hope to hear back from you!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. The pump bypass was done by an actual mechanic. We thought the issue was fuel related so we systematicaly went thru the fuel system cleaning and replacing. Doesn't seem to be the issue. I have replace one could that was shorting out. I'm waiting for the other to arrive. Is it possible to bypass the kick stand switch and run switch on handlebar for diagnostic purposes or is that something I just need to replace and see if that fixes it. The battery is brand new. I'm trying to find where to start with out just replacing everything one by one in hopes its the right part. I'll look at what h have suggested this weekend and get back to you. Again. Thank u.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I would start with a complete check of the battery. (voltage test, load test, running/charging test)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts