Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike is a used 2007 yamaha v star classic 650,......i got it a week ago, i don't have my licence yet so the dealer there followed me home with it and started it up, drove it into my backyard just fine. Then a couple days later i tried starting it and it would start but not 100x, like i could put it into neutral and start the ignition/starter button but it wouldnt 100x,..and then i left it for a couple days after that and when i came back the ignition wont even start and there is no green light or anything when i put it in neutral,..it does nothing whatsoever. i did nothing different this time around than the first time. what could be wrong?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,778 Posts
put a tender on the battery they do not have a lot of cranking amps. Did you use the choke when you tried to start it? It is a cold natured engine,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i honestly dont know anything about bikes lol,....do all bikes have a chocke because i tried looking it up online and then finding it on the bike like next to the handlebar where i saw in pictures and it wasnt there. do you think movijng it indoors could help? is it a bad idea to keep it out in the cold without starting it

·
12,778 Posts
07 it should be under the tank on the left side behind the fuel petcock

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Sounds like they sold you a bike with a dead battery. If that is the case, it is not wise to run it with a bad battery, they do have a tendency to burn up the stator that way. Could also be the reason for the battery not charging if the battery does test okay.

The bike has a choke too, and in cooler weather, you need to use it. Sometimes takes a minute before it will idle without it.

Owners manual here.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/2003/LIT-11626-16-05_22.pdf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok ty for the manuel, and what would you recommend i do now tho? bring it in somewhere to have it checked out, how much would that end up generally costing? thanks

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Take the battery in and have it charged and tested. That is the first place I would check.

Also, if it started before, make sure that the key was turned off and not left on to drain the battery. The kill switch on the right handlebar needs to be in the run position to start too. I don't remember if it has a kickstand switch or not, and I don't remember if the clutch has to be pulled to start either. Been a few years since we had one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya i def didn't leave the key in so its not that. is the battery hard to take out? would it show you how in the manuel?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Page 6-8 in the manual, remove panel B. It's easy to do, just be sure to remove the negative cable first and reinstall it last.

Take a page from Graceshredder's book and take some pictures before you unhook anything so you have no problems putting it back together right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i called a local motorsports store and had them look up the make/model for the battery i need then typed it into amazon and it said it did not match the bike, how can i be sure which battery is correct, it was also 102 at the store but way cheaper online for the one he gave

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The most expensive batteries are a couple pounds lighter, which means nothing to a regular street rider.

The specialty battery stores usually have good deals and quality batteries. They may try to up-sell to a more expensive model, but I don't know how much of an advantage that is if any.

The dealerships will often charge a premium price for a battery made in the same plant on the same assembly line as cheaper ones without the OEM logo.

·
12,778 Posts
How often do you ride? Do you have a lot of accessories? Do you use a tender?

The most cold cranking amps (cca) you can afford would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i ended up putting in a new battery, or a mechanic guy i met off craigslist came and when he put the new one in he was able to turn it on right away and everything was fine. This was 3 weeks ago. Now i tried and it did turn on, like i got the lights but when i pressed the starter it wouldn't do it, just kept making noises, its only when i used throttle along with it that it started but eventually shut off by itself. Also when i tried to shift to first gear it just auto shut off, This was in grass to idk if that makes a difference. What could be the problem?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Raise the kickstand and try it again, there is a switch on the kickstand that kills the engine if it is put into gear with the stand down.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts