Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a 1986 kawasaki vulcan.

It wasnt running (assumed carbs) so i drained the fuel out of the system (it was pee yellow) and poured straight seafoam in the carbs to clean them. I also changed the spark plugs, and gapped them. I eventually got the bike running pretty well, runnjng on a strong mix of seafoam and gas. I rode it around my neighborhood for a bit. While riding it died, and I got it running roughly on reserve. I brought it home, turned it off and tried to start it again, but now it wont. I can turn it over but it will not start. Occasionally when I try to crank it itll backfire hard. Like its so loud that it sounds like a gunshot.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
In my experience this usually means the fuel system is still dirty. If they simply drained out the bad fuel and didn't clean out the tank, they probably just contaminated the new fuel/seafoam mix, clogging up the jets in the carb.

That's what happened with my Suzuki GS850 right before I sold it.

·
Registered
70 CB350 18 Wolf 150 19 San Gabriel 250
60 Posts
Did you drop and clean the float bowls? If not, you likely have crud that Seafoam will not dissolve, and it is plugging the pilot and main jets. You may be able to drop the bowls and clean things without removal, but is is difficult and less likely to be effective. If you can rotate the carbs to view the underside, you may be able to see the crud that causes the problems.(without completely removing them)
tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts