Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In spite of my best efforts I'm not a very good bike mechanic and I would love to get some ideas on why my 08 triumph bonneville won't start before I take it in for expensive repairs. I haven't been riding it much the last few months, but I did take it for a ride on xmas eve which was only a few weeks ago and it ran fine. Today I went to start it and it was a no go. For my first few attempts I tried it with the choke on and it would try to start but wouldn't quite turn over. Then I tried again a few times with the the choke off and it just made kind of a really rapid, hammering/clicking kind of sound, which seemed to be coming from underneath the battery...starter motor maybe? I pulled the seat off and checked the battery voltage, 11.9 v, dropped down to around 5v when trying to start with the choke off and around 9v with the choke on...could it be it's not getting enough juice? All the lights turn on fine, but I wonder about the voltage drop when it's trying to turn over...I've found when checking the battery on my truck it jumps to around 14-15v to get started. It's been sitting outside under my car port, but this is texas, it doesn't get very cold here. I also accidentally left the petcock in the on position for a week, but I've done that before and still didn't have a problem getting it going. I've had the bike for almost 2 years and this is the first issue. Any thoughts? I'm very much hoping this turns out to be a simple electrical thing and not an expensive fuel intake thing. Thanks

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Charge the battery first, and then try to start it. Make sure the battery is good.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Dead battery, bad connections, or failing components all make a hard starting machine.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
As suggested ensure Battery Voltage and Connections are all good first .. Then Check Fuel Delivery & Spark ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts