Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, my '88 Honda NX125 has got me stumped. I can't get it running right to the point where I'm about to sell it and let it be someone else's problem.

It started out that the bike would start in the morning, but then after riding it to work and letting it sit all day it would sometimes have a hard time starting in the evening. Then one night, it just completely stalled coming home from work. Since then I can sometimes (never sure when) get it started. It may idle for a little bit, then it will just stall and not start again. Sometimes if I crank it long enough, wait a few hours, and then come back and try it again it will fire right up and ride alright for a little. It's very moody and I can't exactly put a finger on when it will/won't start and run.

I took the carb off, cleaned it, made sure the float wasn't sticking, took the gas tank off, drained it, put new gas in, got the battery checked (its good), and put a new spark plug in. I haven't been able to figure out what it could be or get any closer to solving the problem. It's been sitting in my garage all summer and I don't really want to sell it because I don't think its worth much but I don't want it sitting around when I can use that money to put to another bike. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
What did the old spark plug look like? What does the air filter look like? If the air filter is really dirty you could be starving for air. It makes sense that it started in the morning when it was cold...if it wasn't getting enough air then it is essentially actilg like the choke is on. Then at night, when it is warm and doesn't need extra fuel, it was flooding out. I'm not an experienced mechanic so take this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
715 Posts
First off, do like Hawk said and check the air filter. Matter of fact, pull it off completey and run around a bit. Get the bike warmed up, go home and shut it off. Do whatever your routine is. Try and get the bike to stall out like it's doing now, only with out the air cleaner. If it still stalls out, won't run or start, then you know it's electrical. Start by checking for frayed or loose connections.

I had a problem like that once. Took me months to finally find the loose wire under my seat.

Don't be afraid to ride without the air cleaner. four or five miles around the neighborhood won't hurt anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts