Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am working on a 2007 Yamaha XV1700 roadstar. I recently jumped my battery and then the bike wouldn’t start (pretty sure I fried something in the process....dumb move I know) I then charged the battery for awhile and I went to turn the bike on and the lights and everything came on fine but when I push the ignition button absolutely nothing happens. Not even a click from the starter relay. When I bypass the relay the bike turns over - so I thought the relay was bad. I put a new relay in and still nothing. Is my ignition fried? Or what else could be the problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
sounds like a blown fuse or fusible link somewhere probably not a big deal to fix the hard part to finding it. Do you have a shop manual for the bike?

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are a few things to know about relays to know if all the wiring behind them is good. If you have 2 grounds and 2 powers, when it's supposed to be hot, then it's possible that the relay is clicking, but still not actually making a connection.

They can click and still be bad.

One of the power or grounds will be missing when you aren't trying to start your motorcycle. If that one of 4 wires that goes to the relay can be discovered, then you'll know if the switch when gets the starting going is working or the wires too it.

Also, on my motorcycle at least, the kick stand can't be down unless you're in neutral (extra shut off switch).
Then there is the shut off switch, and the actual ignition button. All of this has to be working or...no juice to start.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Sometimes a clutch hs to be held in and kick stand down these switches are in series, one after the other and engine run sw. on to
complete circuit to starter relay or solenoid

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I did check the fuses and one is blown. Honestly feel kind of dumb for not checking them before but good learning curve. I will replace it and see if the problem is fixed and will update this thread.
Thanks for all the help!

·
American Legion Rider
26,007 Posts
Thanks everyone. I did check the fuses and one is blown. Honestly feel kind of dumb for not checking them before but good learning curve. I will replace it and see if the problem is fixed and will update this thread.
Thanks for all the help!
Don't worry about. In a panic we sometimes fail to think things thru. Even the simple stuff. Just hope that's all it is. Fingers crossed here.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Hello Nheffne,

There are Two ways a fuse can go, One is the 'BLOW' this is where the fuse is visibly blackened and you might be able to see that the
link had melted, for the most part a wire had some insulation worn off it and the wire itself touched the frame or well grounded part
of the bike.

The other means is an OVERLOAD, say a ten amp fuse is protecting a circuit that has had no problems, you want to hook up two new
lights, that draw two amps. Most likely or in my experience, they'd work for a few hours then the fuse link would melt because it had
to have had time to get hot enough to melt, but it would not have darkened the fuse as a short circuit would because there was not a
sudden surge like when a wire touches the bike's frame.

So, if the fuse was blackened there is a wire touching the frame somewhere.

·
Registered
272 Posts
He jump started the bike easy to have surged a fuse. BTW I'm hoping you know not to jump start with a car that is running. There is a good chance the fuse is all that is wrong if not dig a little deeper there may be another blown fuse that might not be obvious to find.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't over diagnose something, sometimes old fuses just blow because they are old, if you replace the fuse and it goes again then yes your need to investigate further. Just make sure you have some spares with you to get you home if it blows again.

Obviously your fuse must of blown because you have tried to jump it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts