Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, does a bike suffer much if it gets rained upon? I mean if I take it to work and I don't have any covered place to put it, is it a big problem?

·
American Legion Rider
20,002 Posts
Once in awhile isn't bad but I sure wouldn't on a daily basis. They make bike covers that last several years just for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You want to avoid it as much as possible, your battery cables can get corroded which can lead to electrical problem. That being said, it's not gonna melt if it gets wet, but it's always a good idea to keep her undercover.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I was wondering, does a bike suffer much if it gets rained upon? I mean if I take it to work and I don't have any covered place to put it, is it a big problem?
Think of it this way, it is a motor vehicle. Rain had better not be a problem, although sometimes it is. It is one of the many small issues that drove me away from another American bike brand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I was thinking of having a bike cover with me everyday, the problem is it would take up a bit of space (maybe a back pack).

·
American Legion Rider
20,002 Posts
I carried mine under a bungee net on my 400 Hawk before I put bags on it.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
About the only thing that will suffer is your pants if you don't have a towel to dry the seat with. Everything that has to stay dry is under the tank or seat. If they had to stay dry, they wouldn't run in the rain. Most of my bikes sat out all year long, and I used to keep them until they were wore out.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Keeping you machine clean and waxed helps.
The biggest pain about riding in the rain is it will cover your ride with dirt in every nook and cranny. You will also notice rust starting to develop on some of the bolt heads and the such. I will ride in the rain if I have to, but being admitted anal about keeping my bike clean I dont like to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know that covering it doesn't hurt the bike. You can get a cover for $20 or so.
Ill ride in the rain but i don't like leaving my bike out in it. I don't know how much rain wears on the bike but it seems that snow can ruin a seat quickly.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
One of the older bikes made by a Japanese company is famous for routing rain water into the carbs, which is why that particular model is no longer available and very few remain on the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts