Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m wanting to purchase a stand to use to hold my bike upright while cleaning and performing maintenance. I see stands that attach under axles, and I see jacks that fit under the bike frame.
Which do you think I should Use? Jay

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
I like a lift that fits under the frame. That way, when I need new tires, I can remove both wheels to take them to the shop (I don't do my own, anymore). It will also raise the bike higher, so I don't have to crouch down as far for bottom cleaning and other work down low.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Depends on the bike. Some bikes cant be lifted using the portable lifts. I've had all three, a portable lift, a full sized lift table and a couple of stands. When I rode Triumphs, I used a portable lift, center stands, and the full sized lift table. When I purchased the Guzzi, it was either the full sized table or a lift stand specifically made for the Guzzi. Same with the Kawasaki Versys, except I put a center stand on that bike for chain & sprocket maintenance. These bikes either use the motor as a stress member, eliminating the frame underneath, or they have their exhaust running underneath, or both in the case of the Kawasaki.. Before you decide, look underneath you bike to determine if it can be lifted from underneath as more and more bikes are being built this way.

Reactions: Jayrider

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
Before you decide, look underneath you bike to determine if it can be lifted from underneath as more and more bikes are being built this way.
Keep in mind that you may also make or buy a lift adapter for clearance, if the pipes are in the way, but not directly under the frame/engine area. I made a lift adapter for my CB450 to get around the rear brake arm, and level the bike on the lift.

·
On The Road Again!
4,192 Posts
I just use the centerstand on my Goldwing.
Doesn't that bike have a centerstand?

·
American Legion Rider
25,919 Posts
Probably the cheapest way is with a motorcycle stand and purchase a spool to make it work. Both found here.

·
Visionary
5,255 Posts
I have a jack and a wheel chock, I'm shopping for a lift table but havn't decided on which one to buy for my new shop yet.
All have their uses.
Specifically I have the Harbor freight aluminum jack, this will hold just about any bike made, a Condor wheel chock which I think is the best made one I have ever seen, it works great for just holding the bike upright.

Here is the jack doing it's thing on my 900 pound bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a jack and a wheel chock, I'm shopping for a lift table but havn't decided on which one to buy for my new shop yet.
All have their uses.
Specifically I have the Harbor freight aluminum jack, this will hold just about any bike made, a Condor wheel chock which I think is the best made one I have ever seen, it works great for just holding the bike upright.

Here is the jack doing it's thing on my 900 pound bike.
Thanks for taking time to show the stand in action. My Honda has too much plastic underneath to do that. I think I’m going to have to use a stand that fits on the axle. J

·
American Legion Rider
25,919 Posts
Depending on what you need to do, you may find you'll have to remove most of the plastic anyway to do things. Some are like that.

·
Visionary
5,255 Posts
Mine is a bit odd, it has no lower frame, the engine is a stressed portion of the bike, you jack it under the engine itself.

Thanks for taking time to show the stand in action. My Honda has too much plastic underneath to do that. I think I’m going to have to use a stand that fits on the axle. J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts