Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy

I have searched all over the internet for a solution to this problem, been to more than one mechanic and spent quite a bit with no success in solving this issue. As a result my cruiser has been parked for a few months now already. I'm from South Africa though and summer is here - need to get this baby riding! Please assist and advise - any help would be appreciated.

I have a cheapie model cruiser. Its a 2009 MotoMia Cruiser 250cc, 4 stroke, 2 cyllinder. It has less than 5000km on the clock and bought it second-hand. The oke I bought it from has several bikes, so this one remained parked. He only bought it as cheap transport to and from college every morning while finishing exams.

It ran well and with no issues at all for around 3months. I fell in love with it.
Then, one day after taking the longest ride I've ever taken it on - about 40kms Laughing - it just started sputtering when I was pulling up to turn into my driveway. After that, it sputters as soon as you reach about quarter throttle.
Opening the throttle fully does sometimes stop the sputtering, but the bike runs terribly and sounds and feels like its only running on one cylinder. I also say this because it never makes it over 60 anymore (and also getting to 60km/h takes a lot of effort) and it used to make 100km/h easily - bearing in mind that top speed is 140km/h. I usually maintained about a cruising speed of about 80km/h, 90km/h maximum.
I've changed plugs, replaced CDI/Blackbox, checked hoses, air filter still looks like new (like most other things on the bike), checked plug wires, checked other wiring, drained fuel over and over and put in new fuel from various fuel stations - no difference.
The spark plugs always seem wet when pulled - I am not completely sure at the moment, but I am almost sure that one plug seems wet and the other normal (not sure as I haven't worked on it for a while and can't fully remember right now).

I am planning on pulling the carbs tomorrow and checking the main jet and also just do an overall clean, but I don't really want to waste a whole day with no success at the end again. Please, if someone can help me diagnose this problem..

Thanking you in advance for any assistance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds like it very well could be the carbs, or "A" carb.
Is a sticky needle or something, causing one cylinder to flood out.
I do not think you would be wasting your time working on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it very well could be the carbs, or "A" carb.
Is a sticky needle or something, causing one cylinder to flood out.
I do not think you would be wasting your time working on them.

Cool. I am getting in there today. Take them off and clean and retune everything as far as I can

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Replace those spark plugs FIRST and then see how it runs. Your carbs might be causing the plugs to fail, but it is so cheap to try that I often use plug replacement as a diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that I found a little fluff stuck in one of the pipes going up into the carb from the floatbowl at my last inspection of the carbs. I took it out, but now I have to agree with you regarding the plugs.

Tried to start it today with not the least of success. Didn't have much time to get round to anything else though.

I'll be replacing them on Monday and will report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drain your tanks make sure that they are completely dry with no water residue or condensation in them, redo your carbs, check your carburetor gaskets, check your wires for arching ( in a dark place), finally replace your spark plugs and use premium gas from chevron, mobil, shell etc do not use mom and pop gas.

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey webit, did you ever solve your issue? I have some awsome tricks that will help you determine exactly whats causing your issue before you go spending more $$. let me know I would love to help!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't believe in fixing something thats not broken. so check all your fingers and toes for dislocations, or hairline fractures from sills...
I had a rib once that caused some real strange problems with my brakes cuse I couldn't bend over far enough to see the prob!

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Carburetor is the first thing that came to me. I would have checked the simple things first, but I would buy kits and rebuild the carburetor or carburetors.

I don't know enough about that model to know if it has one or two, but I would rebuild. Kits are usually cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts