Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Suzuki Intruder VL1500 Legendary Classic.

Just starting 2 days ago. I filled my bike up with some gas and its been acting funny ever since. I have put 2 full tanks through it with Seafoam so far. Since it has been happening i have drove is over 500 miles. I also have went high speeds and high rpm's hoping i could clear out if anything was in my carbs. Also wanted to add the only way i stop from stalling if giving it alittle Maintenance throttle at red lights to keep the idle higher. Bikes been smelling Gassy lately

When i am idling for alitle while at a red light it sounds like it running on 1 cylinder. Then it sometimes it dies. Also when i give it alittle gas it studders or dies. When i give it more gas then u hear the 2nd cylinder kick it and its fine. When i take off in first gear really slow it sounds like its still running on one cylender then as i speed up u hear the extra popping going on and it rides normal after that. I cant tell u how much rpm's becuse this bike doesnt have it.

I can tell u i just changed spark plugs about 2 weeks ago. My air filter is alittle dirty so i have one coming in. I have owned this bike for 2 months so far after totaling my 1st one i been riding for 13 years from a 73 year old drunk driver that did 3 hit and runs and i was the 2nd one.

Any ideas what i can look for in the morning. My first thing i was gonna do is take off my air filter and start it.see if its starving for air. 2nd thing is remove a spark plug and see if its getting a strong spark by grounding it to the engine.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
Check your fuel filter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. I havent checked the fuel filter yet. I started the bike witht he choke on which i hardly do. Bike started alittle easier and idled completely fine with the choke on. Took off the choke and it kinda Slowed down. gave it throttle before it so it didnt stall and added choke again and it stalled. Didnt know if this would help

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
You may have a air leak in a carb boot. With it idling spray some carb cleaner in that area. If the rpms increase, bingo. There's your problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sprayed carb cleaning all over my carbs. nothing. kinda sounded like it wanted to die but i think it was the sound it gives when it normal wants to die with idle on

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
You changed plugs earlier. Did you gap them to specs? Seems that may have happened about the same time this started or was the change because this started? I wasn't clear on that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed my plugs about a week and a half ago. This started Friday evening. Today is monday.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Have you removed or loosened the fuel cap to see if that improves things?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update. I took off the seat and took off the open part of the fuel filter. Gas just started pouring out. Bike is off so thats all gravity feed Through the filter. So pretty sure the filter is fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so if thats its juse flowing with no problem out the fuel filter im sassuming there is no restriction to fuel.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Is this thing single carb or multiple? With fuel flow that pretty much says you have a restriction in the carb or carbs somewhere. One of the little passage ways. Tear down and do a good job of cleaning those tiny passages and jets. In fact I'd just change the jets with new of the same size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Duel Carb. side by side. Under my airbox. which is located under the instrument panel. My gas tank is under my seat. if u life the airbox up u can look Directly into the carbs and see the jets an dhear the suction
sound when u move them

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anything besides seafoam i could use to attempt to brake down anything in my carbs? should i take out the drain bowl and see if anything comes out that way?

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
My point is there maybe something blocking a passage or obstructing the float that Seafoam will never fix. Just a good cleaning is going to do that and your refueling may just be happenstance. Or it could be directly related but generally your fuel filter gets the big chunks but sometimes something will get dislodged in the carb anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if something was obstructing the float would it be over flowing out the carbs becuase the float isnt closing? or do u mean something could be below it stoping it from dropping and allowing fuel come out the jet? I just dont wanna open carbs becuase what if i damage the gasket. my tank is presurized. as a fuel pump and a accelerator on this bike not sure if this makes any difference.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Something may not be allowing it to open and fill the bowls. With these newer bikes I won't go too far into one either. Might be time to get someone trained to fix it. You could throw away a lot of time and money guessing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would that issue with the bowl filling up and or not filling up be fixed in higher rpms? once i leave about 20 mph(Guessing) the bike runs fine.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
Vacumn leak?

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Wouldn't a vacuum leak just get worse with higher rpms Critter?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts