Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I leave my bike out for say 10 hours, it would take a couple of seconds to start, and then would easily die (maybe I can rev it to save it, but haven't tried yet). I can start it up again, and it would run fine. I left it out in the rain once during a big rain storm. aside from that, it wasn't mistreated. I just got it about 3 weeks ago from a dealer. already had to bring it back to them to replace a seal that was leaking oil and wirings for the headlight. This one, I just discovered recently.

I'm new to this. What are common problems associated with this? how can I troubleshoot? can I leave it at the dealer parking lot over night, and show them the problem tomorrow morning?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I don't know what bike you have but if you have a choke/enrichment are you using it? I have to use it on my bike the 1st time I start it each day. I hope it's that simple. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this morning, after the bike's been left alone for 2 days, I tried starting it up, but the "F1" light was flashing as I was pulling in the clutch to start the bike. It would try to start, but engine would never kick on. I tried turning off the bike, and then turning it back on. This time, the F1 light stayed on (not flashing), and the bike started up in about 2 seconds. When I try to start the bike right after riding it, it would start right up.

What issue might this be? Since it's still within 30 days since purchase from the dealer, I'll take it back later today to have it checked out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
"Since it's still within 30 days since purchase from the dealer, I'll take it back later today to have it checked out."

For sure! Get all problems documented now while under their warranty...in case you have to sue them when the warranty is up but the problems still exist or return.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the guy from the dealer told me to put something in the gas tank to de-clog the carb. I can't remember what he told me to use. Apparently, even though the bike is fuel injected, it still uses a carburetor, and the jet might be getting flow restriction. Any idea what kind of de-clogging solvent I can use? how long does it take before I notice a difference?

do I need to take out the carb and clean it periodically? because I was under the impression that with fuel injected bikes like the 03 sv650, I don't have to mess with that crap

the problem is getting a little worse. when I first bought it, it would start right up. then, it would start up slower, but still on the first time. then, it would die the first time I start it, and run when I start it again. now, it dies twice before I can ride it... this is over a period of around 3-4 weeks, and it only happens most consistently during morning, when I'm going to work and humidity is super high. I haven't had much trouble starting it up in the hot afternoon, yet. It will still die if I don't ride it for 2 days, no matter what.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Are you sure they said you have a carb or a throttle body? I'm sure someone from here can give you good advice as to what kind of injection cleaner to use, but if not, if you have a local Carb shop in your area, they would be able to give you excellent suggestions, as they are the ones that know carbs best. Though there's not many of them around anymore. I've always used Seafoam in my cages, but not sure if it's acceptable practice for motorcycles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 2003 sv650.. the first year that the model transitioned from the carburetor. I know the 2003 model is different from the other models because they changed it again in 2004. I don't know what different fuel injections there are...

this is what I found from a website. no idea what it means.

"Suzuki Dual Throttle valve System (SDTV) and Auto Fast Idle System (AFIS)"

would look more into it, but I have to get back to work..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
take it in, tell them to fix it or get you one that will work. There is no sence is buying something to do a job, and having it fail you, especially if you got a warrenty. sooner the better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will, once the mechanic there is in.. today, I missed him, and the other two guys there couldn't help me. It'll be just outside the 30 day window, but I'll drop it off and have them check it out..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
diagnosis from the motorcycle dealership mechanic is that the fuel jet might be clogged. He suggests that during a cold start, that I rev the engine up to keep the fuel rich. but this doesn't explain for me why this is a bigger issue during moist conditions, and why it only happens when it's been sitting for 8+ hours.

There's apparently nothing wrong with the fuel pump. It doesn't sound like they're willing to do any more work on it. Cleaning out the jets will require taking off the gas tank, etc.

Do you think this assessment makes sense, or is he just blowing smoke up my ass to avoid having to put any more work into the bike?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,315 Posts
you can try seafoam or staybil in your fuel. May take several tanks.

But I think you need to stand your ground and make them fix it. you went back before the 30 days was up with this problem correct? Take it as high as you have to.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
they're making it sound like they don't have the expertise or the resources. It's a small dealership, there's only three guys, and they all claim to be more familiar with carbureted bikes than fuel injected.

I'm thinking if it's related to moisture, maybe there's condensation in the fuel line that's messing up the fuel BTU upon startup, and it needs a couple of cycles or more fuel input to clear out the water? that would help explain why it acts up when it's cold and there's a lot of humidity, or when it sits for too long, and condensation starts to occur. what I noticed with the gas tank door is that it's not shut tightly... there's a little bit of give when I push on it. maybe it's not air tight, condensation is forming in side, and water droplets are forming on the bottom of the gas tank. but I don't know enough about motorcycles or the layup of my motorcycle to really know if this is a plausible theory. And if so, rusting is another issue I'd have to worry about. the inside of the gas tank is definitely not prestine....

i'll have a word about it with the old man tomorrow, since he's the most experienced..

in the meantime, I'd appreciate more feedback.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is why you have to push/document stuff when it's under warranty...now that's it's "out of warranty" they're trying to ditch responsibility.

I don't know what the warranty covered, but if your problem was covered, then they need to fix it or refund your purchase.

If they refuse, tell them your next option is small claims court. Give them the choice of fixing, refunding or going to court.

If you have documented these issues with service tickets, and these issues are a part of the warranty, then you will win in court and be free of this problem bike.

If not, you're stuck and will need to go find a real mechanic.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
apparently there isn't a warranty for used bikes. the old man told me there's probably something that needs to be adjusted with the fuel injection. he says this is not a crippling issue, and that I just need to rev it up a few times on cold starts.

I honestly don't think they can do anything about it at this point.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If it's not in writing, then you bought it 'As Is' and it's your problem. I wouldn't waste time with the sellers as they seem incompetent; maybe even dishonest.

You said "F1" but I think it may be FI...which stands for Fuel Injection. Here's a post where they're talking about the FI code; sounds like it's an issue that requires expertise.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119506

If this repair is beyond your expertise, then it's best just to find a mechanic. They'll have the repair manuals and experience to fix it correctly and quickly.

Check your local Craigslists for mechanics. I found a guy here that does A+ work at half the price of the dealerships.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts