Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I look forward to going to the International Motorcycle Show in Rosemont, IL, a suburb of Chicago. In part its because this is a bike related event in the middle of a non riding winter, in part because a few old friends that used to ride join me for their once a year motorcycle related experience, and in part because I am always optimistic about seeing some new things. The last few years have been somewhat disappointing. Several major brands fail to even show up, the number of vendors of motorcycle clothing and gear seems to go down each year, and while some years I come home with a few goodies, the last few years I have come home with nothing but the show t-shirt. But I have been going to this show every year since I moved to the Midwest from Texas back in 1990, so this is 29 years in a row for me.

This year I have a specific goal in mind. To look at bikes that might be my next bike when I decide that I really need something lighter than the 900 pound plus of my Goldwing. I know that the day for that is coming, and getting a lighter bike seems like a much better alternative than doing what most old guys seem to do, that is, getting a trike or just flat out giving up on riding. But overall I am hoping to be riding for many years to come. That YouTube video from Italy last year showing a 91 year old rider of a Hayabusa had become my new role model! So its off to the Chicago show in a few weeks and hopefully it will be a fun day.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
We'll be hitting the IMS in Minneapolis. I've gone most every year also, just to feed the 2-wheel addiction on the middle of Midwest winters.

It's become a bit of a tradition to meet some friends at the show and hang out all day talking motorcycles, followed by dinner and a few drinks at Brit's Pub that evening.

We are planning on going up for the show on Friday and staying for the Wild game Saturday.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
There's a bike show in Rosemont? Oooh colour me interested!! :)

Chicago, IL | motorcycleshows.com

I'll definitely be there. I've been going to the Chicago Auto Show (as automotive press) since 2009. In recent years I wished there were bikes as my interests expanded.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
It's a good time, Mercedes.

A few years ago, the MN show was 2 weeks after my knee surgery, I could drive but was still on crutches. But, that didn't stop me from throwing a gimpy leg over A LOT of scoots that day

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not unusual for the dates of the bike show in Chicago to be the same as for the auto show. For me this is a no brained since the auto show has little of interest for me. Cars, SUV’s and trucks are utilitarian tools. My bike is for my enjoyment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like a great show. I'll check it out. I went to The Handbuilt Motorcycle Show in Austin, TX last year and am hooked on bike shows!

·
On The Road Again!
4,212 Posts
I went to the Bike Show in New York City once many years ago.
I have no urge to go again.
And from what I've been told, it has gotten a LOT smaller.
The cost of getting into and out of NYC is exorbitant before you
even pay to get into the bike show itself.
And there is nothing at the bike show that I can afford anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts