Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am sure some of you have noticed (especially those that l annoy the heck out of!) that l haven't been around a whole lot. I have been spending a lot of my free time researching bikes, and have grown especially fond of the old school Yamaha FJ1100/1200 sport-tourers. I have discovered that they have a great online following and there are a lot of really knowledgeable owners out there. A lot of guys do some pretty cool mods to them, especially swapping out the wheels to bigger 17" rims and suspension mods. I find myself being drawn that direction. I was actually considering one before l bought my last bike, but thought it was too much bike after a 20 year hiatus.

There aren't a lot of these bikes around, so if anyone spots one for sale in the western US, gimme a shout will ya? Hey thanks!

Oh, yeah, one more thing...l sold my bike ;)

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Well ya picked the right time to sell. Good luck in your search for a new ride and wheels then.:thumbsup:

·
8,572 Posts
There's a bike that won't get sold unless so weirdo buys it.:frown:

Sam:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
New bike.

I have an SV1000 and an XS11. You could try a ride on both. I will also get the 80 XS1100G running this fall. It is fully dressed. Building a new storage shed here, so missed the Ridge race this weekend. I need extra room to store a bunch of stuff, from dearly departed Larry's estate. Will likely be out on the ocean waves during the July 18 race at Kent. Will aim for the August 29 race at Kent.
My neighbour who bought my SV650, sold it to another neighbour. It gets ridden much more now.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, l saw that one Soupy...l think l will pass :)

I am actually looking at one that is for sale by one of the fjowners.com forum members. It is super clean and has some mods done...only problem is, it's in Dallas. But hey, maybe a road trip is in order! Can l swing by for lunch Hog?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UC, l was really hoping to go to the Jly 18 races...but that was when l didn't know there were August 19 races! Let's just plan for the late August race :)

Hey Oz, have you ever ridden one? I have been wanting one for a long time, l hope they live up to what l think of them :)

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Hey Oz, have you ever ridden one? I have been wanting one for a long time, l hope they live up to what l think of them :)
No, never rode a FJ1100/1200, but they are more my style than the newer FJR1300.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, never rode a FJ1100/1200, but they are more my style than the newer FJR1300.
I hear ya. I could go buy a newer FJR, or an ST1300, or a Concours, and all of my friends are suggesting that l do so. Maybe they would serve me better. But they just don't give me the big grin that l get when l think of the FJ :biggrin:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I hope you didn't make a mistake selling before you had something set-up in the middle of riding season!

Good luck in your search, you could always pull a fly and ride to Dallas. If you think you can trust the guy selling it.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you didn't make a mistake selling before you had something set-up in the middle of riding season!

Good luck in your search, you could always pull a fly and ride to Dallas. If you think you can trust the guy selling it.
Yeah, l did consider that. But l was really wanting to shop for a new bike and my brain wouldn't let me until l sold the one sitting on the patio. I am willing to miss out on some of riding season in exchange for finding my dream bike

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Yeah, l saw that one Soupy...l think l will pass :)

I am actually looking at one that is for sale by one of the fjowners.com forum members. It is super clean and has some mods done...only problem is, it's in Dallas. But hey, maybe a road trip is in order! Can l swing by for lunch Hog?
Sure if I'm home.:D But I'd have to meet you in town anyway. I'd NEVER expect anyone to come down my road. The eight inch boulders the county through down have made it so rough that we are still using our 4x4 to get out.

Although we did venture out on the bikes a few days ago but it was rough as can be and still have water deep enough across one point that my mufflers are completely submerged.

That is a long way to travel and get a completely unknown bike to travel back on. Do you plan on seeing a dealer or independent or ask another member here go look at it at least. Seems to me like we have one or two that live in Dallas.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, l am leaning more towards having it shipped, if the deal works out. Several people have vouched for the seller and the bike, people who have actually ridden it. He is a well known and highly respected member of an fj owners group. I feel very comfortable buying it sight unseen.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing l have learned in life is to trust my gut. It is the greatest tool l own. If my gut says go, l go. If it says to walk away, l do that too. There is an FJ near me that looks good on the surface, and l was emailing back and forth with the seller, but my gut was just nagging at me, so l decided not to go there. This one, though, feels right.

It's pretty much the same thing here. If Eye_m_no_angel was selling a bike, and he said it was a great bike, and half a dozen other guys here chimed up and said, "Yeah, it's a great bike, l have seen it, l have ridden it, he is a stand up guy" then l wouldn't hesitate to send him the money and trust him to ship it to me. I think there are a lot of people here who would agree with me, and not just him, but many folks here l feel the same way about. I just think most people are, in general, good hearted and give each other a fair shake. I like to assume the best of people. And you know what? I can't remember the last time l got screwed over.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's funny. I just saw one on a craigslist a couple hours south of me. Its a project but it looks to be in decent shape. You could ride your SV while getting this on the road:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/5083533582.html

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see the "west" part in your post...
You also missed the part about me already selling my SV :)

I appreciate the help, but l am not really looking for a project, but rather a bike that has already been gone through, but that l can maybe do some more mods to, and learn the ins and outs of along the way.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
You Trust Eye?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts