Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am going to be bringing home my 1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 tomorrow to my neighborhood in Spanish Harlem, Manhattan. I have some concerns around parking and bike security.

Alternate side parking:
I am a bit confused by the alternate side parking...obviously I understand that I will have to move the bike during the specified times, but won't it be challenging to find a new space when everyone else is doing the same thing?? How does one deal with this? I would assume I could park it on the opposite side of the street for the rest of the day after I move it? It's a little daunting for the new rider, especially since I work on the other end of the city (45 min. away)!

Bike security
What should I invest in to secure my bike (links appreciated)? How big of a risk will it be for my bike to sit on the street for one or more nights unsecured? Since it's older I would think it'd be less of a risk...do any of the standard security devices (chains etc.) stand any chance of reducing my insurance premium, or is that reserved for the more high-end antitheft systems?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Alternate side parking is usually for snow removal, allowing the entire street to be cleared with plows within two days. Local ordinances will vary, but there is a good chance to get ticketed or towed if you are in violation. Worse case scenario is that they simply plow the motorcycle down the road with the snow.

As far as theft goes, if someone wants your motorcycle bad enough, they will get it. Chains, disk locks, and alarm systems can slow down a thief or call attention to them and possibly make the risk of getting caught not worth the trouble. A well-lit area with a lot of people around is often a good deterrent as well, but nothing is fool-proof.

If you keep theft insurance on a motorcycle, an alarm system may bring the rate down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dodsfall. I'm in NYC where alternate side parking is a apparently a year-round hassle.

Definitely understand that if someone wants my bike (I guess it's not terribly likely that they'll go for my '91 nighthawk 250), they'll find a way (load it into a pickup and drive away?).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, in NYC alternate side parking is year round. The biggest reason for it is arguably that it becomes a revenue stream to the city, park in the wrong place at the wrong time and get a ticket. As you guessed it can be a huge pain to find parking when everyone else is scrambling for the already limited spaces. What ends up happening most of the time is people will move in order to go to work or school and then come back after the day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aha! Well, I'll try to scramble for my spot (tomorrow night!). For now I'm parked on the "correct" side but yah, this is gonna be a fact of life here :/ ah well. I threw a Bulldog u-lock on it until my The Club for Motorcycles arrives tomorrow. I see many bikes in my neighborhood have the Bulldog-style U-lock. Does it matter whether I lock to the front wheel or back, I guess not?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I don't think it will make a difference which wheel you lock.

A good alarm system is also a great idea. There are some fairly inexpensive motion-sensitive alarms on the market.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am in NYC also.. I have a cover on it and it's on the sidewalk.. there are a couple of covered motorcycles/scooters on my block.

Haven't gotten a ticket yet.

Alternate parking sucks, my area has to move it 4 times a week.

Well, you can try it anyways, at worst you get a ticket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, thank you for the replies. I have seen one or two bikes parked on the sidewalk around here, but I have been able to find street parking so far. I need to move 2x a week, not terrible because I live far uptown.

Yes, I think the insurance will go down (it's already cheap at sub-$200/year) if I get an alarm system. Something to consider though. Recs of specific systems welcome.

Can I ask what cover you use for your bike, if any? Are there any really rainproof ones or should I just forget that possibility? I got one with the bike but it is worn/faded and the rain shower we had Friday morning soaked my saddlebags etc. (they were well-covered and I used the tie-downs too)

At this point I pity the fool who picks up my bike, it needs a lot of work...see here if you're curious (brace yourself):

·
Severed Head
464 Posts
Haha, YOU again!

I don't know that I would call needing tires, a battery, and a battery strap "a lot of work." Frustrating and more than you expected, but nothing seriously major so far. The end is not nigh. :p

You'll get 'er back on the road soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is what I'm using right now, it has hooks to tie to the bike and has stayed on pretty well. Been keeping the water off too, though I don't know how well it'll work for a really heavy storm.

Motogear Deluxe Motorcycle Cover - Cruiser

1 - 10 of 10 Posts