Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently looking at 3 possible bikes for my first ride: Ninja 400 ABS, BMW G310R, Honda CB300F/R ABS. In my area, all are new (no used ABS models available), and all within $300 of each other. All dealers are out of state for me so its not easy to go sit on them. Each bike has its negatives of course but im searching for an easy and enjoyable learning platform for the next 2 years. My only experience so far is the MSF course.

Any tips on how to narrow down my list?

Has anyone had experience with these bikes?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Buy the Ninja 400 and you won't regret it:smile_big:

It has a 2 cylinder parallel twin engine that makes it super smooth and a 6 speed gearbox, like the others and much larger gas tank and a history of reliability based upon earlier models.:wink2:

The Honda and the BMW are single cylinder engines and although good ones, they work to hard and 'BUZZ' in my experience:surprise:

GOOGLE Ninja 400 forums.:smile_big:

Have fun!:smile:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Buy the Ninja 400 and you won't regret it:smile_big:

It has a 2 cylinder parallel twin engine that makes it super smooth and a 6 speed gearbox, like the others and much larger gas tank and a history of reliability based upon earlier models.:wink2:

The Honda and the BMW are single cylinder engines and although good ones, they work to hard and 'BUZZ' in my experience:surprise:

GOOGLE Ninja 400 forums.:smile_big:

Have fun!:smile:

Sam:nerd:
Porky, I didn't know much about these models, but you definitely had me at 2 cylinders. That makes the engine more naturally balanced and more efficient for it's size. (Efficient in terms of not wasting power and energy on balancing the engine as much due to the second piston - haven't a clue how these models stand up to each other on fuel economy. Efficiency can just lead to more power sometimes rather than fuel economy.)

Much larger gas tank makes crossing an open part of the country a lot less stressful too. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Any tips on how to narrow down my list?
Fit is very important on a motorcycle, so I'd go sit on them to see which one works best. I believe the Ninja is the most leaned over of the three and the BMW the most upright. The Honda is somewhere in between, probably a bit closer to the BMW. The Ninja has the most power, but it's higher in the rev range, so you've got to be on the throttle more to use it.

I heard people say that my old TU250x was buzzy, but I never really noticed it unless I was going 75MPH on the freeway and it was my first bike, so I didn't have really have anything to compare it to.

I don't know if it works for you, but the KTM Duke 390 usually seems to win the beginner bike shootouts and may be worth a look. I rode the Yamama R3 at a demo event and it was a lot of fun. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Fit is very important on a motorcycle, so I'd go sit on them to see which one works best. I believe the Ninja is the most leaned over of the three and the BMW the most upright. The Honda is somewhere in between, probably a bit closer to the BMW. The Ninja has the most power, but it's higher in the rev range, so you've got to be on the throttle more to use it.

I heard people say that my old TU250x was buzzy, but I never really noticed it unless I was going 75MPH on the freeway and it was my first bike, so I didn't have really have anything to compare it to.

I don't know if it works for you, but the KTM Duke 390 usually seems to win the beginner bike shootouts and may be worth a look. I rode the Yamama R3 at a demo event and it was a lot of fun. Good Luck.
I really liked the idea of a Duke 390 until someone said something about inferior rims that were cracking and breaking. Sure enough, there were wheels that were completely disintegrating. After doing more research, I found that most were from their Asian market and built in India, so the likelihood of getting bad rims here was extremely low...BUT...on those bikes where this did happen, evidently KTM simply told customers to call their insurance companies. So I was like, no way.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
KTM's are very maintenance intensive also and they are SMALL:surprise:

Sam:grin:

·
Registered
126 Posts
KTM's are very maintenance intensive also and they are SMALL:surprise:

Sam:grin:
I second that the KTM's are the most brutal on maintenance...well about equal to "husky". Husqvarna? So hard to spell, I'd rather type Husky than do a Google search every time, lol.

Hey, will you get more performance? Yes. Will the bike be down for maintenance a lot more? Definitely. And if you aren't practically a machine shop then those engines are really going to set you back on what they call maintenance. What they call maintenance other people call engine overhauls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The KTM sounds like a money pit. I like the sporty style of the Ninja and the 400cc engine has a lot of possitive reviews. Its also a bike i could keep as a second bike. On the other hand, I like the naked look of the other bikes especially since a tip over wont cost extra $$ due to damaged fairings. The 3 yr warranty on the BMW is also a big positive for that bike in my mind.

Ive read the Honda has had crankshaft issues though i agree about the availability of parts due to shared parts across models. Utube reviewers have mentioned minimal vibrations on the Single cylinder, 6-speed BMW. Not sure if those are paid statements or not. The only recall ive found is a faulty kickstand.

Choosing is hard ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.