Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any tips?

My Kawasaki VN250 started rolling to a stop a few minutes into the first ride of the day. This got worse over a period of about 4 weeks until it was happening on most rides to work and on the way home.

Tried warming it up for longer, tried changing the fuel (usually use 91, tried 95), tried higher rpms, just rolls to stop.

After pulling over it usually starts pretty much first time but won’t clutch start?? Runs fine for rest of ride . . Long or short.

I don’t have much mechanical experience so pulled the tank off with some hesitation . . . Found the long “straw” projecting from the petcock had disconnected and was floating around the tank. Fuel lines looked good. Inside of tank looked good. Reattached the straw to petcock and put everything back. Went well for a couple of days but rolled to stop this morning. (Reserve works now so am hoping I won’t run out of fuel again).

I considered gluing the straw into the petcock but was worried I might gunk up or even melt the straws . . Also wondered if superglue will breakdown in the tank . . . I just friction fitted it but am not confident it won’t work loose again.

So I have ordered the workshop manual and am prepared to have another go . . . Any tips on what I should be looking for?

Thanks

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
If it's the fuel line I'm familiar with, they do stretch over time. You didn't say what year it is. The petcock may need a cleaning as well. But there are other reasons an engine would slowly die as you come to a stop. You might find some answers to things to check with some searching. Seems like this has come up several times in the past.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
^^^^ Yep, that's a very good source for parts at good rates compared to OEM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, the bike is 2007. I actually forgot to clean the petcock when I had it out, I did blow through it and all positions let air thru but i will spray some carby cleaner thru it when I take it apart again. I did consider changing the fuel lines although they looked soft and an good nick and the inline filter but to be honest, was not confident that I could do it . . Access was tight as I was reluctant to take more stuff off .. I Did not manage to expose the carbies, I think I had to take the air filter and other stuff off to see them . When I get the manual I should be more confident about pulling stuff off.

So far parts haven’t been too expensive thru my local mechanic and am inclined to support him as he is a genuine bloke . . But if I need serious parts will follow your links.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, as it stalled again today while I was sitting at lights I began to question whether it is a fuel thing . . . Once again it started with one push of the electric start and no more probs for the day . . . I wonder if there is an electrical problem????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts