Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know what the problem is with my bike. The carbs have been cleaned and so I don't think that should be the problem. When I turn on my bike and just sit on it, no throttle application, no changing in choke, nothing. The bike revs it self pretty high. Not to redline but it gets up there. When the throttle is applied it seems like it revs sometimes but not how a normal motorcycle would.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The first thing I would do is check for proper operation of the throttle cables. Make sure they are returning to the proper location and not holding the throttle open by being gunned up or in a bind somewhere along their routing.

When was the last time you lubricated the cables?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first thing I would do is check for proper operation of the throttle cables. Make sure they are returning to the proper location and not holding the throttle open by being gunned up or in a bind somewhere along their routing.

When was the last time you lubricated the cables?
Well never, given I bought the bike a month ago. But, the throttle snaps back and seems to not be in any binds. What should I lubricate it with?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, it revs and goes down and revs again so it doesnt just rev and stay there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Out of curiosity, does it happen when you turn your handle bars at all? If so, the cable near handle bar could be to tight. (Just another suggestion)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out of curiosity, does it happen when you turn your handle bars at all? If so, the cable near handle bar could be to tight. (Just another suggestion)
I dont think it does, I will check that though. Im planning on ordering a new cable as the casing on my current one is cracked which could cause some of the lack of tension.

·
U.S. Army Infantry
179 Posts
Also, it revs and goes down and revs again so it doesnt just rev and stay there.
Your carbs are either dirty and gummed up, or you have a vaccum leak. Or both.

Clean the carbs. If it doesn't help spray WD40 until you find the damn leak and plug it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your carbs are either dirty and gummed up, or you have a vaccum leak. Or both.

Clean the carbs. If it doesn't help spray WD40 until you find the damn leak and plug it.
Cleaned the carbs multiple times... And how would spraying wd40 help me find a vaccum leak?

·
U.S. Army Infantry
179 Posts
Cleaned the carbs multiple times... And how would spraying wd40 help me find a vaccum leak?
Simple. WD40 is a combustible item. Upon contact with a vaccum leak, it will be sucked in and the engine will change RPMs (noticeably). That general area WILL be your vaccum leak.

I've done it 100 times over, ranging from my truck to my bikes, it works every time. If that isn't your problem, come back and tell me. I'll brainstorm more for you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Simple. WD40 is a combustible item. Upon contact with a vaccum leak, it will be sucked in and the engine will change RPMs (noticeably). That general area WILL be your vaccum leak.

I've done it 100 times over, ranging from my truck to my bikes, it works every time. If that isn't your problem, come back and tell me. I'll brainstorm more for you.
Yea, checked it and it revs only on one carb. What is the best solution to that? Buy a new one or fix the current one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another item you can use to spray instead of WD40 is carb cleaner.

To find the vacuum leak, spray some more WD40 (or carb cleaner) in the area. After you know theirs a vacuum leak, start spraying in smaller areas to narrow down your search. Think of it as a process of elimination.

EDIT: Late message but you can use electrical tape as a temp fix for now. If its a tube, just replace tube.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another item you can use to spray instead of WD40 is carb cleaner.

To find the vacuum leak, spray some more WD40 (or carb cleaner) in the area. After you know theirs a vacuum leak, start spraying in smaller areas to narrow down your search. Think of it as a process of elimination.
Yea, thanks. So I found the leak now I need to figure out how to seal it

·
Registered
64 Posts
EDIT: Late message but you can use electrical tape as a temp fix for now. If its a tube, just replace tube.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think I have it fixed with rtv sealant. But I replaced the air box with two k&n air filters, would that have anything to do with it?
Absolutely!!!! Anything besides stock filters allow more air to be funneled into the bike making it run very lean. I would either look into buying the OEM filters or if you want to keep the K&N air filters, you might have to do a re-jet kit to compensate or MAYBE try and play with your fuel mixtures, you could just get lucky and not need a re-jet.

EDIT: To be double sure, I would ask WintrSol, he's full of goodie information and excellent with Suzuki motorcycles; he has helped my dozens of times and he is a very patient with questions you might think are silly. God bless him :71baldboy:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts