Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to this website and am trying to become new to motorcycling. I went to look at a 1983 Honda shadow and am not sure whether I have found a good deal or not. It isn't currently running as the battery is dead but will start with some gas down the spark plug and a jump from a car battery. It has been sitting for a year with old gasoline in it. I don't mind ripping apart the bike as I want to become so familiar with it that I can do all the work to it myself (as time consuming as that sounds). He has a manual for all the maintenance and repairs to completely strip this bike down. There is only surface rust on the bike. Also, he said there was issues when trying to shift into first form both neutral and higher gears. Where it is a hydraulic clutch, I don't know what may cause this. The wiring seems a little iffy as it is the original wiring with only a couple frayed wires and some wires taped under the left panel. There is some white buildup on the motor which looks like a calcium build up. Also, there was some rust residue on my finger when I ran it along the inside of the tank. The bike has been sitting outside for the year under a cover. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and reply to this ad.
-JP

C

·
0 Posts
Really it comes down to do YOU think its worth it. It sounds like it needs a complete overhaul for sure. If you're willing to commit yourself to a project like that then go for it. However, you never mentioned price. You might want to add that so others could reply being more informed. I don't rebuild bikes but a few members do. Maybe someone will answer your post.

·
Very Famous Person
9,688 Posts
--

Several factors would matter in a decision like yours. One would be whether or not you have the time and place to be working on a project that would be torn apart. Second, would you have the commitment to stick with it to the end as it seems that there are a number of things that would need attention?

I would be concerned, though, about your being a "new" motorcyclist. If so, it's hard to have your new experience held up for awhile due to your equipment not being ready for use. I would think first knowing for sure you enjoy riding and know what it's like should count. In other words, maybe a first bike should be one you can ride right away even if it's not the one you will want to keep forever.

--

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
U can buy good used bikes all day long cheap....
Why bother putting all that $$$ n time into rebuilding.
But of course it does depend on things like...
Have u got all the tools ur gunna need?
Do u have the space n the time?
Nnnnn of course cost.....

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
That's how I first started riding, because that's what I could afford at the time. IF you're going to go that route be prepared to have to fix quite a few things to make the bike reliable, you should be prepared for break-downs the first several weeks you have it on the road, carry tools with you, and keep it close to home - short trips at first. Go this route only if you are prepared for this, and WANT to learn to work on your bike. The bike also has to be mechanically sound and safe to ride, good tires, nothing dangerous for someone learning to ride with..

The good news is after the bugs are worked out, you'll probably have a pretty sweet bike with no payments due on it.

The shifting issue concerns me though, could be a simple issue where the clutch system needs to be bled. Hopefully nothing too deep inside the transmission..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike is asking $600 but I am going to offer less. I am a student and have no delusions about getting this bike running this summer. My plan was to work away at it this summer and over the winter. My major concern is the clutch issue. It has issues shifting to first from neutral or when down shifting. It also makes a weird gurgling revving noise when going into first from neutral. (don't know how to describe it any better.) On another note, I am actually looking forward to rebuilding the bike just as much as riding it. I just don't want to spend over $1000 (for parts) to get it running. Thanks to all of the responds thus far.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
It also makes a weird gurgling revving noise when going into first from neutral. (don't know how to describe it any better.)
Not optimistic about that one... transmission problems - if it is one - cost a lot of money.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The bike is asking $600 but I am going to offer less. I am a student and have no delusions about getting this bike running this summer. My plan was to work away at it this summer and over the winter. My major concern is the clutch issue. It has issues shifting to first from neutral or when down shifting. It also makes a weird gurgling revving noise when going into first from neutral. (don't know how to describe it any better.) On another note, I am actually looking forward to rebuilding the bike just as much as riding it. I just don't want to spend over $1000 (for parts) to get it running. Thanks to all of the responds thus far.
walk away from this bike, immediately. this transmission issue in addition to everything else makes it not worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts