Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
From what I've read, Snell will not approve any modular helmet. ECE, on the other hand, will. I wear an ECE-rated modular helmet. ECE rating was on my "must have" list when I went shopping for a new helmet last Autumn.
I actually broke my jaw in crash 35-yrs ago. Chin bar was shattered, but still attached to helmet. Without reading entire test-standards, I wonder how many of them require chin-bar impact tests?

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,344 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
If you're going to consider the Z400, a fine machines, then the Honda CB300F or BMW G310R might be worth a look too. They offer a more upright searing position, which tends to be more comfortable, but by all means go have a look for yourself to see what works for you.
Yes, I am also looking up information on these bikes as well. I am trying to learn as much as I can from pretty much every entry level bike from most manufacturers including Royal Enfield, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, BWM, and recently have been looking into the Husqvarna Svartpilen and Vitpilen 401. I don't know if I will be able to find these particular bikes in my area, but I just think they look so great and have heard good things about them.

As far as modular helmets go, after reading the posts here and doing some research about them in other places, I believe that a regular full faced helmet would be the safest. I like the functionality of the modular helmets, but, as a beginner, I would prefer the safer option.

· Registered
29 Posts
For riding gear, get a mesh jacket and pants with a zip-out insulated liner and CE armor. Add a windproof/rainproof outer shell for both, and you're good to go in all but the worst weather. Check Revzilla or Cycle Gear and you'll find a dizzying array of brands, styles, and prices.
I listen to adventure rider radio and the people who spend years traveling on bikes around the world say the same thing. Mesh gear and use rain gear on top to help warm things up along with layers. Some places you just can't get cool enough in a standard jacket. Getting warmer is a matter of layers. Under or on top.

· Registered
29 Posts
Being an older person, I had a KLR650 and it was a bit to top heavy for me. I don't have the off road skills good enough to ride off road with that bike. I am older and my balance isn't what it used to be. I picked up a KTM 390 adventure and it brings a grin to my face. I still have a 113 V twin, but I see the KTM getting most of my riding time. Even with 52 years of riding, That 390 is so playful I can't help but grin.
KLR is an excellent bike that can be bought for a good price used, but definitely go for smaller and lighter. The CB500x is a bike that higher mileage shouldn't be too big of an issue. Amanda from As the Magpie Flies on YouTube has 45,000 miles on hers with no issues.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thank you all for your input over the past 2 weeks. It's very cool for the community to support a new rider. I have moved up my MSF class, and I am currently looking for a helmet for the class that I can also use in the future when I get my bike/endorsement. As far as a bike goes, I like so many models, but I think I will listen to most on here and start with a smaller bike like an MT03, G 310GS, z400, Versys 300, CB300R, or maybe even a Rebel 300.

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,344 Posts
Thank you all for your input over the past 2 weeks. It's very cool for the community to support a new rider. I have moved up my MSF class, and I am currently looking for a helmet for the class that I can also use in the future when I get my bike/endorsement. As far as a bike goes, I like so many models, but I think I will listen to most on here and start with a smaller bike like an MT03, G 310GS, z400, Versys 300, CB300R, or maybe even a Rebel 300.
We're happy to help!! Once you have your endorsement, you're more likely to be able to get test rides, but not all dealers will do that unfortunately. Good luck, have fun in class! (y)

· Very Famous Person
3,896 Posts
--

I'm impressed by the amount of experience listed in the posts so far. I think if you take each one apart and try to digest, and take notes, you will be overinformed on how to proceed. I'll just add a couple of more thoughts, not in any particular order:

Keep in mind that cost of anything often has to do with the name or reputation of an item, not necessarily the capability. So get a quality that is a reasonable cost to you. More important is that the item serves its purpose and fits. You'll have a miserable ride every time if your boots are too tight or your bike seat is wrong for your butt. A helmet won't work if you don't wear it "because it's too tight and too hot out here".

As stated, what ever bike you get won't be your first. Imagine learning to drive in a Ferrari. Would that be a good starter? Make it fit and be real affordable. You can more easily re-sell a bike under $2,000. than one for $7,000. Keep in mind the cost of licence and insurance.

While there are more choices of equipment on line than at you local dealers, you can actually try on the stuff at the dealer. You may pay a little more, but you have someone to help you. And you will need the dealer from time to time for parts, repairs, or maintenance. He'll remember his customers.

If you learn well from reading, an old friend, David Hough has the best selling new rider book published that you can refer to over and over:

And on YouTube there are a hundred videos of riding tips. Use that if you like.

--

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
heh, heh... walk into dealership and plop pile of cash on countre and they'll let you test-ride any bike you want!!!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts