Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 84' kawasaki gpz, I have been having this problem where sometimes the power would just cut out and make the bike sputter. A lot of times it is no big deal but the other times its really bad and the bike would shut off. When this happens, if I wait 10 mins or so, it would be fine again. It really feels like a bad electrical connection as sometimes the power would cut in and out pretty sporadically and unpredictably. It is really noticeable under acceleration as I feel it start to pull real hard then stop pulling and then continue pulling real hard. Like if I apply 3/4 throttle, It will sometimes not accelerate and then all of the sudden the power kicks right it. The other day I was able ride it for about an hour and a half without any of this happening, however, other times, I can't even go a whole mile before this issue occurs.

Another symptom I am having that I am not sure if it is related to this problem is the idle. It idles around 4-5 thousand rpms and the throttle stop for adjusting the idle doesn't seem to affect it and whenever this problem occurs, the idle will go down to a more reasonable 1-2 thousand rpms. However, when I start to move in first gear riding the clutch, it doesn't seem to want to stay around the 4-5k rpms and will go down pretty low.

When riding, I can get it to redline pretty easily in first gear however, getting it to redline in other gear, this problem will generally occur. It won't shut off or anything that serious but it will just stop pulling. However, sometimes it will continue to accelerate right up to redline.

I have checked/cleaned where the battery grounds to the frame, the 12v and ground connections at ignition coils, replaced fuses and cleaned connections, and checked kill switch assembly for any loose wires. Also made sure that gas was flowing from tank through carbs.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I don't think it's electrical. If it were intermittent electrical it would absolutely die, not sputter. Based on your other comments I think you need a carb rebuild. Your bike displays the same exact symptoms my Ninja did BEFORE a carb refresh.

But I'd check fuel flow before I tore the carbs apart. Could also be debris in the gas tank moving around and clogging the intake, a clogged filter, a torn diaphragm in your fuel pump/petcock, things a LOT easier to check/repair than a carb overhaul. Start with the tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter.

And no, pouring some additive, carb/injector cleaner, Techroline, OceanBreeze, err, "Seafoam," Mystery Oil (the mystery is what good it actually does) into your tank isn't likely to solve your problem.

I suggest noobs order the carb rebuild kit(s) they need from a place like MC Superstore then PAY an old motorcycle hand to actually rebuild their carb(s) for them instead of LEARNING THE $HARD$ way how to rebuild carbs. And there's also an overnight trick for softening those rock-hard carburetor boots if you do a little research here on this site.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's electrical. If it were intermittent electrical it would absolutely die, not sputter. Based on your other comments I think you need a carb rebuild. Your bike displays the same exact symptoms my Ninja did BEFORE a carb refresh.

But I'd check fuel flow before I tore the carbs apart. Could also be debris in the gas tank moving around and clogging the intake, a clogged filter, a torn diaphragm in your fuel pump/petcock, things a LOT easier to check/repair than a carb overhaul. Start with the tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter.

And no, pouring some additive, carb/injector cleaner, Techroline, OceanBreeze, err, "Seafoam," Mystery Oil (the mystery is what good it actually does) into your tank isn't likely to solve your problem.

I suggest noobs order the carb rebuild kit(s) they need from a place like MC Superstore then PAY an old motorcycle hand to actually rebuild their carb(s) for them instead of LEARNING THE $HARD$ way how to rebuild carbs. And there's also an overnight trick for softening those rock-hard carburetor boots if you do a little research here on this site.
I rebuilt carbs in the spring with the help of a knowledgable person. With carbs off and float bowls off and carbs hooked up to gas tank and gas flowed freely through needle and seats and stopped flowing when I pushed the floats to close the valve. The only thing I have not done carb related was sync the carbs but my bike doesn't seem to experience the symptoms of unsynced carbs.

However, I was looking up on other forums about a kickstand switch so I looked on my bike and saw that the exhaust boot type thing that bolts into the engine around the exhaust was just hanging off on one of the exhaust pipes. The exhaust pipe off of that cylinder moves a very tiny bit compared to the other ones so I will bolt it back on tomorrow and post the results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts