Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a R1 that when I turn to either side it pulls pretty hard, mostly to the left but also to the right just not as much...I know the rear rim is bent but I got it for a good deal from a buddy who laid it dwn going 30mph and checked the frame no damage forks looked strait didn't pay as much attention to those tho while checking it out...and needed the rear tire plugged since it had a hole to be riddin and since it sat he said he feels like the throttle sticks Sometimes so until the deal was made traded my quad and 1000$ for his newer R1...rode it after the deal was done trust me I would never buy anything good for tn without test driving first but trusted my buddy as in nothing big was wrong with it besides new battery, new rear tire, throttle cable to be safe, and new fairings so does anyone have any idea could it just be the rim? or should I bring it in and have the big things checked out frame and forks etc?!?! any help would be appriciated. Thanks !

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Wonky.

Look from the front and rear. Both wheels should be parallel up and down. The back wheel should follow directly behind the front.
This is a bit tricky because of the different tyre sizes.
The bike will need to be straight upright.

Lift the bike so that both wheels are off the ground. Block the frame to hold it up. Grab the back wheel are try to move it side to side. You are checking for play in the swing arm. Spin both wheels to check for any wobble or out of round. Remove the rear wheel and check the wheel bearings.
Check the swing arm again. Look at the swing arm and check if both arms are parallel. Check for any other damage. Get a new tyre and rim.

Check the steering head for any play and jerkyness. Check the front forks for any bends and to be sure they are parallel. Check the alignment of the bars.

Check anything else you can think of.
Pretend you are going to the track and ride this thing at 120 mph, without test riding it beforehand. Knowing it will be okay because you checked it.

Unkle Krusty* Bon chance.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
^^^:71baldboy:

An easy way to check the forks is to have someone hold two yard sticks across them as far part as you have room for. Then sight down over the handlebars. The sticks should look parallel. If not then you know your forks are bent.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Hope it isn't bent forks but a bad wheel bearing will cause this and that's a simple fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
& ya @85dirty I was hoping it wasn't bent forks but just a bad bearing or something of the sort bent rear rim since it didn't hold air bc of a lil bend out on one spot in it but u can tell it didn't go dwn much above 30mph bc all the fairings r still their just scratched and not nearly what they should be bc the frame sliders, the stock Yamaha clutch cable bracket/gaurd and bike stand pegs that go on the swingarm it basically slid on those. he also said throttle cable is a lil sticky bc it's. been sitting ever since bc it landed on his leg he had a brace on it and got some type of surgery bc of this. so was rly hoping just new rear rim would fix it I'm gunna borrow my buddies bike stand and run it while off the ground n watch it he also has a front stand as well so can check both "Fingers Crossed"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rear tire also had a puncture so I plugged that and hammered in the bend on the rear rim just for s quick test ride u know to assess the damage but frame has no mark of touching the ground and he said was dwn a strait away it hit nothing and doesn't at all look like it did but the impact of dropping it could bent forks deff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts