Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Kawasaki Z1000 and found a Wisconsin dealer auctioning a brand new 2010 model on eBay. I am interested in it but there is one problem.

The seller made it clear that this bike "cannot be sold to California, Canada or for export". And I am from California. :(

Two questions:

What would be the reason for not selling to California buyers? :confused:

As a California buyer, what can I do to buy that bike? Any loop-holes, work arounds etc.?

Thanks in advance for your input guys...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibly due to those CA emission laws? I honestly have no clue what they're all about, but I always see references to vehicle models with slightly different schematics for the CA-models.
Well, if it is due to CA emission laws, there is no way around it then. I'm wondering it has anything to do with charging taxes and online retail sales.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am looking for a Kawasaki Z1000 and found a Wisconsin dealer auctioning a brand new 2010 model on eBay. I am interested in it but there is one problem.

The seller made it clear that this bike "cannot be sold to California, Canada or for export". And I am from California. :(

Two questions:

What would be the reason for not selling to California buyers? :confused:

As a California buyer, what can I do to buy that bike? Any loop-holes, work arounds etc.?

Thanks in advance for your input guys...
Looks like you can get a bike out of state if it isn't a new bike...Looks like you need to have over 7500 miles on the vehicle to register a "49 State" Vehicle in CA. Here's what it says on the CA DMV web-site:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

Be Sure You Can Register it in California

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here. This includes certain diesel powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (Health and Safety Codes [H&SC] §§43150 – 43156.)

What Is Considered a new Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Aren't all Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California certified (50-State) vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

Check the Label
To find out whether a car, truck or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the frame or refer to your owner's manual. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Exemptions
There are a few exemptions included in the law. As a California resident you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or a legal separation settlement

Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.

Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.

An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § 27156.2 and 27156.3.

Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.

A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Cali is just weird! Can't buy decent weapons, can't buy decent cars, trucks or bikes that are perfectly fine in all other states. Beautiful piece of country, but I could never live there.
What a silly statement. I live in SoCal and love it. There are lots and lots and lots of fabulous cars, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, boats, ATVs, and other go fast, look good machines here. It is ground zero for car culture and probably for motorcycles too. Also, quite a thriving gun culture, although I am not into that sort of thing.

This is the most exciting place I have ever lived. Many interesting things going on all the time. :thumbsup:

By the way, I lived in NC for 18 years. Nice place, but I was glad to move. Too boring!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
With horrendous laws regarding them... Like 10-round magazines and that stupid bullet-button on semi-auto rifles...
Like I said, I am not into guns, so those laws don't bother me. I do know there are lots of gun enthusiasts out here, and within a few miles of where I am there are at least 2 gun shops that I know about. They seem to be doing fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What a silly statement. I live in SoCal and love it. There are lots and lots and lots of fabulous cars, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, boats, ATVs, and other go fast, look good machines here. It is ground zero for car culture and probably for motorcycles too. Also, quite a thriving gun culture, although I am not into that sort of thing.

This is the most exciting place I have ever lived. Many interesting things going on all the time. :thumbsup:

By the way, I lived in NC for 18 years. Nice place, but I was glad to move. Too boring!
I have to agree with murphyshuman here, there are lots of silly emissions laws out in california. Did you know you cant swap a cars engine out with one that is older? Even if the engine you want to put in has better emissions. That probably applies to bikes too. It really puts a damper on the hotrodding culture.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
. It really puts a damper on the hotrodding culture.
With all due respect, my fellow rider, if the hotrodding culture out here has been dampened, it is really hard to tell. There are, with no exaggeration, Many thousands of hot rodders here and hundreds of companies dedicated to the hobby. For both cars and motorcycles.

There are several giant shows each year just a few miles from where I live that attract more than a thousand show cars. The shows are simply amazing. Also smaller shows almost every weekend year round.

Perhaps some of the emissions regs are a little tough, but we had to do something. The air around here in the 60s and 70s was becoming pretty bad. It is much better now. The regulation you mentioned simply ensures an older, usually dirtier engine is not placed in a newer car. Makes sense to me. :). I guess there would be some times when this would prevent a hobbiest from putting an older "clean" engine in a newer car, and this would reduce the hobbiests freedom to do whatever he wants.

SoCal is not everyone's preference, but I love it here. Like I said before, it is the most exciting place I have ever lived.

Be safe out there.

Ralph

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks squally for all that information.

I finally got a response from the dealership in WI and he says he cannot sell the bike to a CA resident because of....

drumroll...

EMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS!!!

I had no idea that CA's requirements differ from the rest of the country until I started this research to buy a bike.

On an other note... I lived in AL and NJ. Compared to those places CA is a very nice place to live in. Except these emission requirements.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yeah, our emissions requirements are tough, but if you were in CA in the 60s and 70s you know why they had to be put into place.

Other places need to get tougher too. I used to live in NC. With the explosive growth in that state over the past 25 years and the high humidity, the smog is getting pretty bad. Sometimes it is worse than LA, believe it or not.

I grew up in New Jersey. They have pretty tough emmisions requirements too, and also yearly inspections which are a PITA. I had several old cars over the years that failed those inspections. At least we don't have inspections here in CA.

Stay safe out there.

Ralph

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.