Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2007 Honda shadow sabre vt1100 with 13,200 miles plugs are just changed fuel filter is good gas lines are clear, I can drive down the road about a half miles and it start acting starved for fuel till it dies, I can then blow in the tank and it'll start up perfectly fine and run great till the fuel I blew in there runs out. Process starts all over again. Some insight would be great! Thanks

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
What exactly do you mean by blow in the tank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the tank air vent I removed and blew through it and it still does the same thing. Removed tank completely and would poor gas into gas line had to blow on gas line start and did the same thing as before. Would have to keep blowing on gas line to restart till line was completely empty of fuel. So it's not the tank I don't believe

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, sounds like some sort of restriction. Pull the line off of the carb - does fuel puke out like it should?

I'm not familiar with your bike - carb I assume? Any screens tucked under the float valves? Might they be dirty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If puking out of the carb is what your talking about then no and I'm not sure about the screen. Do you think it could possibly be the float is stuck?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If puking out of the carb is what your talking about then no and I'm not sure about the screen. Do you think it could possibly be the float is stuck?
From what you described then yeah, my guess would be that your float is stuck, or your float needle is stuck in the bore, and it's restricting the flow of fuel to the bowl.

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Clarify

I need more info.
Did you pull the fuel line off the carb?
Did fuel come out and continue to pore out?
If not, did you try the lever in different positions? I am guessing you have, on, reserve and prime.

If the lever is pointing to prime and no fuel comes out, there are usually three possibilities. No fuel in tank. The screens for the petcock are plugged. The cap vent is plugged. If it is fuel injected, or has a fuel pump, there still needs to be fuel coming out of the tank when the fuel line is removed.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no prime. On, off, reserve. I did pull the fuel line off in fuel did pour out of the line itself but no gas came out of the carburetor and no gas is going into the carburetor without me forcing it in there. If it is just the float that is static is there a simple fix for that ?

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Whack it.

If gas in coming out of the tank when the fuel line is removed from the carburetor, but does not appear to go in to the carb, then the needle valve and or the float is stuck. A light tap with a small hammer may move it. Otherwise the carb will have to be removed, then the float bowl, and have a look inside.
It could also be something stuck inside the needle valve.
I am also wondering if a little air pressure in to the needle valve might move things. A gentle push with a bicycle pump. Not 90 PSI from the compressor.

Unkle Krusty*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts