Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2012 Victory Vegas 8-Ball with about 20k miles on it. I took it on a trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver and back. It held up great the entire trip until the way back the clutch started slipping. I was able to squeeze just enough life out of the clutch with a cable adjustment to make it back home.

Took the bike to a shop and got the clutch replaced. Got the bike back and I guess some time from the ride back from the shop to my house the shift shaft seal popped out and I didn't notice until the next morning when I saw a giant puddle of oil under my bike. The shop picked up the bike and fixed the issue by putting in a new metal/rubber seal that was not completely rubber like the stock one. Also, I hope they replaced the leaked oil as well, but now that I think about it I never checked if they did, assuming they would.

About 5 days after I got my bike back from the leaking issue I came across another major failure. I was on my way to work and after turning into the main street I start gunning it, then shift to 2nd and continue to open up the throttle. Right while shifting from 2nd to 3rd I completely lose all tension in the clutch cable rendering my clutch lever useless. I start to roll off the throttle slowly without touching the brakes and then hear some metallic noises coming from right below where I ****. Immediately after that metallic sound, the rear wheel locks up and I skid to a complete stop.

I call the shop and they agree to pick up the bike again an look into what went wrong. They call me back the next day claiming their clutch replacement work looks fine and it is the transmission that is locked up. Claiming it is a separate issue not related to the clutch replacement.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Please, any suggestion or advice on what the failure may be or how to go about handling the situation will be greatly appreciated.

·
Biker
1,726 Posts
Seems to me they might not have put the primary fluid back to the proper level, and if it is the same fluid the lubes
the tranny like the Harley Sporty does, and this happens after the first big problem of leaking this big puddle, I would
get a hold of this bikes service manual or maybe this will be in owners manual, check it out, if it does not say in owners
manual that primary fluid lubes tranny, get the shop book, It just seems to me that these two major issues ARE VERY
MUCH RELATED.

If they say,"One issue has nothing to do with the other." then I think they are trying to stiff you. I am not a wrencher BUT
I think that the 2nd issue happening so soon after the big leak says a lot. I'd find another Victory dealer and in the mean-
time call up headquarters and tell them. Something tells me you bought the bike from this dealer, could be I am just assuming
you did. In either case though I am sure that will be a BIG $$'s item and you should not have to have that expense, call up or
go to other dealer or shop that works on Indian and find out how long a tranny is good for and if there are known issues with
your model.

if you find there are no issues and the only reason tranny 'bought the farm is,low level of lube oil, get back to HQ if they have
not gotten back to you to see what they have to say, Maybe they don't want to lose a customer, and since it IS a BUSINESS
they can write it off on their taxes OR their shop insurance will cover it. If it looks like they want YOU to pay, Not saying it is
right or wrong but I would ask them if they thought it would be worth losing a lot of customers over because after a good ride
I hit up a bikers joint and I know I will start telling others exactly what happened here, so not only do you lose out on selling
bikes BUT the service costs that go with it and any accessories too for that matter, and putting your exp on the internet. That
just might change their mind.

I am gonna get off the subject briefly to show tell you what can happen, I bought an A/C for the house and a few days after the
30 it starts running horrible. "Sorry, should have brought it back before the 30 days." I would have if it messed up. Lowes did not
want to make good on it at all, their attitude, "YOUR PROBLEM." So I said I'm going to make it yours Ken, I'll go home with this
and get on the puter and go to various places on the internet and my own place as well and tell everyone what kind of business
you do. Who knows maybe someone with a pair of balls will stick up for the customer and you get that tranny fixed and no out of
pocket needed.

·
Visionary
5,751 Posts
I can almost guarantee they did something wrong in there, it's all related and right next to each other inside the primary cover. Besides your problem started with the new clutch going slack, THEN it locked up. To me that sounds like something broke or fell apart in the clutch, then jammed the gears.

Victory engines use one oil for everything, primary, transmission, and engine, so I sure HOPE they filled up the oil and with the right stuff too.

I'd ask them to show you exactly what failed, whats broken, and show you the intact clutch parts.

·
Visionary
5,751 Posts
In case your wondering what’s under that primary cover...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.