Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am fairly new to riding. Got my license in September and my bike in January. My car crapped out on me, so I rely on my motorcycle as my main mode of transportation everywhere (thankfully, everything I need is within a 5 mile radius). I ride a Yamaha V-Star 250.

Unfortunately, I don't know crap as far as mechanical stuff is concerned. Trying to change that, though.

The other day, my bike fell onto its side because I didn't put the kickstand all the way out when parking it. It proved to be too heavy for me to bring it upright on my own and I had to wait on a friend to come over to help me out. My bike stayed on its side for about 45 minutes-1 hour. Once we got it back up, a significant amount of gas leaked out of a couple of tiny holes at the bottom of my exhaust pipe (the holes are too small and perfect-looking to have been something caused by the damage, so I'm assuming they're just a part of the design). Someone asked their dad who rides for some advice and he suggested that I should wait for the gas to evaporate before doing anything. I refilled the tank with more gas later that day, but did not bother to try turning the bike on because I had nowhere to be.

Fast-forward 24 hours. I tried to start the engine but to no avail. It tries to start but the engine just can't seem to turn over. There is a faint gasoline smell every time I try, too. Battery seems fine though, because the lights work ok. I am under the assumption that since my bike was on its side for so long, the shocks got soaked in gasoline. I've read that they simply just need to be cleaned, if that's the case. That's good and a relatively-easy fix and all, but I guess I'm just doubtful because my experience with vehicle maintenance/troubleshooting is very, very small. I also don't have the financial means to really ask any in-town professionals for their two-cents on the matter. That's why I am asking here.

I suppose I just wanna know if my assumption about the shocks is right, and if not, then what might be keeping my bike's engine from turning over?

Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
American Legion Rider
22,870 Posts
There's a very good chance the fall knocked sulfates off the lead cells and have caused a short. Also, unless you have a wet cell battery, it probably leaked all the acid out. Might have got on the terminal contacts and started a real nasty case of corrosion as well. I'd get into the battery compartment and remove it completely and get all you can cleaned out.

Clean the battery wire terminals good and then have the battery checked or if it's old just change it. Falling over is actually harder on the battery than anything else. Shocks should be fine unless they were submerged in fuel.

Finally, learn to lift the bike the proper way. There are several YouTube videos they show the proper way to lift a 900 pound machine so you'll have no trouble with your 250. And don't be surprised you get kidded for that but if you never had to do it you might be overwhelmed in the moment. Just get your thick skin on.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I'll speak to the issue of lifting a fallen bike.....

First off, a 250 or a 1,000 cc bike, can be easily lifted, if you put your back against the air filter side, and with bended knees in a crouched position, stand up.

Someone can post a link to this method, or you can search it in YouTube.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Check your oil level and consistency to make sure the crankcase didn't fill with fuel. It's unlikely, but free and easy to check. It's normal for fuel to leak when the motorcycle is on it's side.

The battery and connections would be my first suspect as well. Make sure they are clean and snug. If that doesn't help, remove the battery and take it to get charged and load tested. Many places like battery stores and auto parts stores will do this for free.

·
Visionary
4,275 Posts
The other thing to check is perhaps the cylinder(s) got filled with gas or oil while it was laying on it's side and that's stopping it from turning over. This is easy to check/ fix, remove the spark plug(s) and crank it over a few times till it's clear, then put them back and start it up.
If your not comfortable doing this ask anyone who has changed plugs on a bike or car or even a lawnmower to help, it's very simple once you've seen it done.

·
Registered
742 Posts

First off, a 250 or a 1,000 cc bike, can be easily lifted, if you put your back against the air filter side, and with bended knees in a crouched position, stand up.
Hmmmm... how exactly does that work if the air filter side is facing skyward?

Might I suggest back side against the seat instead. Be careful if its dropped on the side with the side stand so it doesn't keep going right over onto it's other side.

I like this video because it shows that even someone smaller in stature can pick up even a somewhat larger bike:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=84YfDGKA4Og

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
The other thing to check is perhaps the cylinder(s) got filled with gas or oil while it was laying on it's side and that's stopping it from turning over. This is easy to check/ fix, remove the spark plug(s) and crank it over a few times till it's clear, then put them back and start it up.
If your not comfortable doing this ask anyone who has changed plugs on a bike or car or even a lawnmower to help, it's very simple once you've seen it done.
This was my first thought.. pull the plugs and see if it will turn then.

You can pick that bike up. Watch the videos and practice!

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
158 Posts

Someone can post a link to this method, or you can search it in YouTube.
Actually, it works from either side, and on ANY bike. We had a 'little lady' (about 4'9" tall and 'petite') in our CMA group who 'challenged' a friend who had a big Kaw 1600cc dresser that she could lift his bike easily. He took her up on that, and laid over gently. She put her back to the bike, squatted down, grabbed the edge of the seat, and used her legs to lift it up, slowly 'walking' back until it was upright, and she could get the kickstand under it. I figure if she can lift that bike, anyone can lift any bike using the same method. :71baldboy:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just the other day, buddy's bike dropped on right side for couple of mins. It does smell gas and had to sit for couple of hours to let the spilled gas to evaporate. Ensuring there is a good spark at the spark plug, we kick it for about 10mins since the carb is flooded with gas, then it runs fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts