Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
What?
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike, 1981 KZ1000 Ltd.

So, riding into work today my shift lever started feeling mushy, it didn't have the normal distinct gear change snap to it. Get to work and grab it with my hand to see if I can feel anything and it just rotates on the shaft. Was able to tighten it, quite a bit, and all seemed fine. Go to leave work and pop it into first and it feels like my clutch is bad it barely moves the bike and it will idle for a short time before stalling out with the clutch fully released.

I don't think it is my clutch, since it hasn't been slipping and I was able to use the friction zone when I parked it.

There is a clutch adjustment for the throw out rod, I think this is the right term, on the left side transmission cover, but I set that a few weeks ago when I swapped the cable and haven't had any issues with it.

Could something have gone out of whack by me tightening my shift lever? I am at a loss, and kinda bummed since I don't work tomorrow and had nothing to do.

·
What?
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am pretty sure I figgered out the issue, I also tightened the cover that encloses my front sprocket and clutch throw out rod adjustment and in doing so threw my cable out of whack I probably didn't tighten it enough wjeh I changed my cable and in tightening it screwed up my adjustment.

I didn't have the tools to adjust it so I will do that tomorrow. After I posted this I realized how tight my clutch was.

It just threw me for a loop until a friend stopped by and I told him what was up, first thing he did was pull in the clutch. Sometimes fresh eyes are golden.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts