Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike was running well the day before the big storm; everything was perfect.

The day after that I tried to start the bike and it won't start or it would idle for 3~4 seconds then stall.

I changed the spark plugs, and a new battery, it still won't start.

So I take a look at the service manual, it says bad gas. I immediately think of water in gas and I was correct. There was water in my carbs so I drain it all out and the bike run smoothly for awhile.

The first throttle attempt the bike responds well and accelerates.

Then everything goes down hill after that the bike stall when the throttle is rolled.

My questions are:
Should I drain all the gas out of gas tank and the carbs again then put new gas in them? (I did not drain out the gas tank)

Is there anywhere else I should drain or check on the bike for water? or only the carb?

·
Nightfly
3,719 Posts
We're you riding the bike in the rain or was it just sitting out in it? Get rid of the fuel in the tank and replace with fresh gas, should cure your problem. Not sure why you would replace the battery if the engine was still turning over. Might want to check for a reason the water got in your tank.

·
Registered
699 Posts
We're you riding the bike in the rain or was it just sitting out in it? Get rid of the fuel in the tank and replace with fresh gas, should cure your problem. Not sure why you would replace the battery if the engine was still turning over. Might want to check for a reason the water got in your tank.
That is what I am wondering too. How did the water get in the tank?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have no idea what you are riding but some bike designs take advantage of the overflow drain for the gas tank and external drains and bring them together in a Y before they drip out below the bike frame. If the bottom end of that drain gets plugged you can end up draining water from some place like around the filler neck back into the gas tank. Those can be a real bear to figure out but it happens.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A friend of mine had a bad o-ring seal on his gas cap and rain water got in his tank. His bike Is fuel injected and would not start at all. He emptied the tank and replaced the whole gas cap assembly (because he did not trust the old one), put in fresh gas and after a few tries it started up and ran fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike was sitting in the rain with cover on. Gas would leak out of the gas cap when upside down (I removed the gas tank and tried it out). Is there a shop or store I can purchase the rubber seal?
I have searched ebay and online store which all of them sell the whole gas cap but no luck finding seals for my gas cap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts