Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 02 YZF600r that needed the carbs cleaned. So i cleaned them, all the jets and everything. started it and it ran fine and revved nicely. After tinkering with it for a while we decided to see how it rode, so I got on, put it in 1st and as soon as i started giving it gas it bogged down. started it up again, tried again and same thing. Im totally stumped as to why its doing that, the revs also seem to be slightly erratic when it idles. Please help, im ready to see this thing go and im getting warn out try to solve the problem.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
TMan.... we're gonna need you to clarify a few details for us. You state that after cleaning the carbs, it ran. It idled and revved. But then you said, "after tinkering with it for a while".... Please detail that statement.

Also, when a bike idles and revs, but can't perform under a load, it usually indicates a massive air leak. The YZF600 Thundercat is a bitch to get the carb rack seated properly after cleaning. Is it possible the 4 carbs (rack) are not pressed down into the intake boots?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once I had the carbs removed I set out 4 different containers each labeled for each different carb. I opened up one carb at a time and made sure not to lose anything. We scrubbed the inside with carb cleaner and made sure that was clean, then took out the jets and the floats. i dumped all the jets (pilot and main jets) into carb cleaner and let them sit for a few hours. Then we took it out, cleaned it and put it all back together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well when I say tinkered with it i mean we took the carbs out of the coolant loop. It seemed to be giving us problems so we eliminated that variable in the hopes of making it run better. when I ran it i had the air box and tank off so the top of the carbs were exposes, when it died out i noticed a small amount of gas squirting up. Im not sure if thats normal or not.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Are you seeing this "spritzing" at idle, or when you apply throttle? When the idle is set properly, and you start the bike, you should not see any spritsing unless you apply throttle. Once the main jets kick in, there will be fuel spritsing into the venturi tube. And are you sure the carbs are seated down properly into the intake rubbers?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
yes it only happens when I rev it. And i imagine id look for a leak by spraying starter fluid on the boot correct?
I would not recommend starting fluid as a leak detector... unless you're into fire drama!! WD40 works better. Of all the bikes I've worked on (carb work) the YZF600 and it's sister the R6, are the most difficult to get the carbs to seat properly. Dodsfall is not far off when he thinks of a vacuum leak, but what you're describing is a MASSIVE airleak. Your YZF will not run properly without the airbox and tank. It is possible to run the bike off of a make-shift fuel tank, but it won't run right without an airbox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what im wanting to do is use it to see if the bike sucks in the starting fluid and rev the engine up during idle. Would that really be the reason why my bike isn't going when i try to move it? It starts to pull me but then drowns it sounds like.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
what im wanting to do is use it to see if the bike sucks in the starting fluid and rev the engine up during idle. Would that really be the reason why my bike isn't going when i try to move it? It starts to pull me but then drowns it sounds like.
As the RPMs increase, more vacuum is being created by the intake stroke. A leak will simply suck in more air instead of air/fuel mixture and the engine will stall. It's a theory, anyway.

If you like having eyebrows, I wouldn't use starting fluid to test. A back flash could be dangerous. a small amount of WD-40 or carb cleaner is better.

It's best to make sure the airbox and filter is properly installed while testing. The air/fuel mixture will be closest to a proper state that way.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Very simple your idle jet (passagewway) is open and your main jet is clogged.. Get a kit pay a pro to rebuiid your carb and install a new inline fuel filter to prevent crap in the tank from contaminatinng the fresh rebuild

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Very simple your idle jet (passagewway) is open and your main jet is clogged.. Get a kit pay a pro to rebuiid your carb and install a new inline fuel filter to prevent crap in the tank from contaminatinng the fresh rebuild
Hey wade, did you get another keyboard from the pawn shop?

YYYYYou ddddidn't ssssstutor oooon ttthis ooone.:biggrin::p:biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts