Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike idles fine when I cold start it. I almost always have to have the choke on to make it start.

Today I rode around for maybe 30 minutes and as the ride went on the idle kept inching up and eventually when I was done it idled at 3000.

I have read on other forums people having this problem and a possible vacuum leak. I know that I do NOT have a problem in this area as I already fixed it.

So, would this be a pilot jet issue?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Could it be possible that the choke is sticking closed?

I would check that first, then check the spark plugs for signs of an improper fuel mixture.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Has your bike ever worked properly for you, or is this a new problem? What intake/exhaust setup do you have, and is your jetting stock?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could it be possible that the choke is sticking closed?

I would check that first, then check the spark plugs for signs of an improper fuel mixture.
So the spark plugs and choke are fine.

Has your bike ever worked properly for you, or is this a new problem? What intake/exhaust setup do you have, and is your jetting stock?
I think I figured it out, my jets are not stock. I messed with a idle speed knob a bit and it seems to be fine now, still might need to up the pilots a bit though

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hope you got it fixed, I had a similar problem on my '81 Yamaha XJ650-

Finally figured out my choke cable wasn't fully retracting when I slid it back. After the engine warmed up the idle would go way up (tach didn't work so I can't tell you RPM). The cable-end on the handlebar was getting caught and I kinda had to push it in place with my finger at stop lights. Just another possibility in case you have the problem again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope you got it fixed, I had a similar problem on my '81 Yamaha XJ650-

Finally figured out my choke cable wasn't fully retracting when I slid it back. After the engine warmed up the idle would go way up (tach didn't work so I can't tell you RPM). The cable-end on the handlebar was getting caught and I kinda had to push it in place with my finger at stop lights. Just another possibility in case you have the problem again.
Thanks! I appreciate it! Also if it goes up a bit at stops I rev and it seems to nicely go back down to about 1.5k

You could try that as well

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wierd, I've sold my XJ since then. I have a SV650 now with another set of problems haha. Good luck to ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts