Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a comfortable bike for a 60 mile highway daily ride and some regular and dirt roads over weekends. Looking at new bikes: a 2018 versys 1000, 2016 caponord 1200, 750gs, 850gs, ktm 790 OR 1090, multistrada 950, super tenere, africa twin...

I am the worst kind of customer, as I don't really know what I want. I was also looking at the indian scout, but that does not feel very comfortable (riding posture) for a highway commute and for my lower back. I really like the scout, the niner, the bonneville, just don't feel it like a proper riding posture for lower back pain. Am I wrong? Am I going to get an upright just to have the same back pain in the future? Please give me some guidance

Riding experience? Yes, about 2000 miles on a Ukrainian 125cc 2 stroke about 15 years ago in Eastern Europe and about 2000 miles this last fall on my recently purchased Suzuki VL800 v-twin cruiser.

Looking for something newer, better on the highway. I like the cruiser, up to 55-60 mph. I feel for higher speeds and the few dirt roads around here I could use something of a different nature.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gabe

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Hard question to answer when you throw in the lower back pain. To what degree does your back pain bother you?
As I started reading your post, my first thought was a Kawasaki KLR 650, or a BMW Adventure bike, something like one of those, just because I've seen so many people riding those that ride on different surfaces.
But I don't know what bike might be comfortable for someone with back pain, unless it was a Goldwing or a Road King, something like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, put it this way: I had lower back pain 10 years ago. It all went away, all was good up to riding my VL800 cruiser. I like the bike, but after 2k miles in 2 months, riding it for more than half an hour on the highway became annoying in terms of back pain - it was more trying to reposition myself and moving around instead of enjoying the ride. My initial riding posture was definitely a big factor, lately I got more relaxed and that helps a lot.

KLR650 you say... might rev it up a bit high during the half hour highway commute - again, this is the thought of someone (me) who never rode one and has little to none experience.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
It will all come down to what you like. Being there are several you like, go sit on each one, take a test ride if possible. Find the seat that is most comfortable for you and keep in mind shocks and fork springs could be changed out if needed for a more comfortable ride.

I guess for that matter, even the seat can be re-shaped or re-stuffed if needed. Sorry about your back pain, but I do wish you good luck in your search for a new bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts