Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yup, very happy with the upgraded suspension. Gave my bike a new life really. I've had it for a year and a half and it's from early 2016. I was thinking of selling it and buying something slightly bigger, 300cc max (since more than that is useless in Vietnam anyway - you'd get yourself killed in a matter of days if you tried to have some fun on a big bike), but looks like I'm going to hold onto this bike for longer. I just need to fix all the scratches and paint coming off, get a new set of decals, nicer bar ends and probably get rid of that rear tire :) - just slid on the crosswalk markings whenleaned over at around 30 mph. Nothing dramatic but it shouldn't really be doing it on dry surface, should it ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Slipping on painted asphalt is relatively normal, depending on the surface, the paint, how think the paint, tire pressure, temperature, the speed and lean.

·
On The Road Again!
2,858 Posts
Some of that paint can be very slippery.
Manhole covers are another one. Try to avoid them
if possible. I've slid on more than one.

·
American Legion Rider
19,460 Posts
Yep, me too. Some of that paint is very slick and hard to avoid at times. But do your best to try to as has been suggested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good to know it's normal. Are this kind of slight slips dangerous ? In other words, am I very likely to be thrown off the bike assuming throttle control is smooth ?

·
American Legion Rider
19,460 Posts
Good to know it's normal. Are this kind of slight slips dangerous ? In other words, am I very likely to be thrown off the bike assuming throttle control is smooth ?
It can. That’s why we all try the best we can to avoid them. And there are even worse when wet.

·
Registered
351 Posts
As you approach the intersection position in the lane so you can play the turn by turning late or early so you can get you bike momentarily upright as you pass over the painted section. Also, you can brake to momentarily reduce your speed until clear of the paint. As @hogcowboy mentioned the paint is more slick when rain, sand, gravel or oil is present. Not that big of a deal to observe what is coming and adjust your ride to minimize the risk. A little slip usually isn't bad as the tire will regain traction after passing the painted line, but too much speed, too much lean, too wide of a painted area and you may risk the tire slipping to the point it will not regain traction in time and the bike will wash out and get you dumped. And that could be the front tire or rear tire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the tips guys. For some reason I haven't had too many of these slips but definitely good to know they are a real threat (as if there weren't enough threats when riding a motorcycle in Vietnam :D).

Some other things I've noticed with the new suspension is that countersteering requires a little more effort - feels like I need to use a little more force when pushing the handlebars, but cornering feels more predictable. I wouldn't say that the bike corners better though, but that might be simply because I never push it to the limit cause my own limit is probably lower than that of the bike. Sadly, the only fun twisties around me are narrow roads with fairly slow corners and many of them blind - not the best place to practice cornering really.

Also, I've done two emergency braking sessions with the new shock and in the recent one I definitely saw improvement in braking performance, especially in the 50 mph run. Plus it feels more stable under heavy braking.

I'm just not sure about the stiffness on the new suspension. I think slightly softer might be better for the roads I ride on. I'll probably go and have it adjusted.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts