Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider (only a few months) and I bought a 2001 Ninja 250 to learn on. I rode it for a month before this started to happen. The bike will only start with the choke on. When you roll the choke off, it dies. When you roll the throttle, it dies. It idles fine, around 1800 rpm with the choke. But as soon as you touch the throttle it sputters and dies. Every time.Changed the spark plugs, oil, airfilter, and adjusted the throttle cables. Ran Seafoam through and drained the gas tank and put new gas in. I haven't taken the carbs off yet to clean/ inspect but that is the next step unless you guys can help me out! Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply and help. Being new to this, could you tell me where to look? And this could be a cause even if the choke is still on and throttle is applied?

·
Special Member
669 Posts
Yes even with the choke on, clogged pilot jets can cause a stumble on throttle.

Recommend you pull the tank off and replace all your fuel lines with clear so you can see if there is any debris (the black hose tends to flake off on the inside with age, causing blockages). Add a clear inline fuel filter as well.

Then clean your carbs, especially the pilot jet fuel passages (not just the jet itself, but also the hole it screws in to -- shoot cleaner in there and make sure it comes out of the carb somewhere else).

These will most likely fix it, though as Badlands correctly points out, you may also have an intake vacuum leak. That's a bridge to burn later though, after making sure the fuel system is in order.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just like the other guys pointed out. Im 90% sure if you just clean the jets on your carb it will fix the problem. Im sure there is an example video or pictures on here or on the web of how to clean. Its pretty easy. Just remember to put everything back where it came out of, and dont lose any little parts that are in the carb. The only special parts you will need are a can of carb clean and a very small wire almost like a twisty tie without the paper on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned the carbs yesterday, got them back on the bike, and it fired right up! Drove it for about 10 miles with no problems. Went out later drove it for a few miles and no problems. Went out this morning to start it up and its doing the same thing. Dies as soon as you touch the throttle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you install an inline filter? It sounds like dirty fuel to me- the fuel could be picking up contaminants from the bottom of the tank or along the lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts