Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a 1985 BMW K100. Runs great with no issues...until today. After driving for about 20 minutes the engine just died. No warning, sputtering or anything else. Just flat out died. After pushing the bike to a safe place I tried to start it again and it cranked just fine but would not turn over. Power and battery seem fine. I am no mechanic & at a loss here.
Any ideas?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
A few things to check: First thing, make sure you didn't hit the kill switch. It has happened :D. If that isn't it, have you tried opening the gas cap and then trying again? Sometimes the vent will get blocked up. Then, check to see if gas is flowing and there is no blockage anywhere.

Does your bike have a kickstand safety switch? Mine does and it will not start if the stand is down and the bike is in gear. You might need to make sure it is connected. The one on my bike got disconnected and the PO didn't reconnect it. I got a great deal because he couldn't get the bike to start.

If it is none of these, hopefully one of the "real" mechanics can help out. Good Luck to you! By the way, Welcome to the Forum.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The first two things to check are spark and fuel. Make sure the plugs are sparking and that the carbs are full of gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts