Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
Ok, I admit to not knowing a Lot about Most Japanese Bikes.:confused::confused: I do however have Lots of Tools and the ability to read a manual and fix most things, I have a '75 Kaw 900 Vintage Bike and can work on it using a manual.
Soooo a neighbor of my brother has an 82 Suzuki GN 400..4 stroke, think its a single cylinder,...not sure if its running or not, Havnt had a chance to go Look at it yet.... guy wants $150 for it and has a clear title, his parents bought it new for him years ago, seat has been recovered, tank and tins repainted..
i am wondering if its worth a gamble to "Bobber " it and resale it??
Of course it needs a battery at very least, maybe tires......is there any
room to make a buck on it?? I have no idea what kind of money these bikes bring and I am not Looking to add a bike this size to my garage. ??
'Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
197 Posts
For $150 I'd say it's worth a look. I owned an '81 Suzuki GN400 & it was a blast to ride. Mainly because it weighed around 306 dry & had decent midrange torque. I pushed it hard on twisty roads & near the limit it gradually goes into a wobble but it's controllable. First time it nearly pitched me off but I had it leaned over hard around 70. Easy to kick start, has a compression release lever on the handlebar. Simple air-cooled single. I only did one mod, smaller rear sprocket because it sounded a little busy over 70. Chin on the tank I saw 93 mph with the new sprocket. 88 before. There were 2 versions. One had spokes & a flatter seat & handlebars (mine) or cast wheels & a stepped seat with higher bars. Buzzed a little through the bars but not annoying. Did a 380 mile day once. Put around 8K miles on it with no problems, then the finance demanded I sell it after crashing it in a wet corner. Anyway, I was just thinking about this bike the other day & looked up Youtube videos on it. Mine was a leftover '81 I bought new in '83 for $995. I think they listed around $1,300 or so.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For $150 I'd say it's worth a look. I owned an '81 Suzuki GN400 & it was a blast to ride. Mainly because it weighed around 306 dry & had decent midrange torque. I pushed it hard on twisty roads & near the limit it gradually goes into a wobble but it's controllable. First time it nearly pitched me off but I had it leaned over hard around 70. Easy to kick start, has a compression release lever on the handlebar. Simple air-cooled single. I only did one mod, smaller rear sprocket because it sounded a little busy over 70. Chin on the tank I saw 93 mph with the new sprocket. 88 before. There were 2 versions. One had spokes & a flatter seat & handlebars (mine) or cast wheels & a stepped seat with higher bars. Buzzed a little through the bars but not annoying. Did a 380 mile day once. Put around 8K miles on it with no problems, then the finance demanded I sell it after crashing it in a wet corner. Anyway, I was just thinking about this bike the other day & looked up Youtube videos on it. Mine was a leftover '81 I bought new in '83 for $995. I think they listed around $1,300 or so.
Thanks, the guy who has it now changed out the wheels and put some kind of Mag wheels on it.
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I would take a chance on it. part out price is worth that 150.00 and then some.

If it runs with a title, buy it. Today.

Make it run decent and you return on on investment for hours spent will probably be pretty high. Bobbing a bike can make it look and ride horribly and is not what I would want as the next buyer. Your target buyer should include the largest segment of the population. Keeping the bike stock will appeal to the next buyer even if he wants a bobber. All it takes is a Sawzall for him to do it himself.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I've learned not to purchase ANY vehicles with a mind towards reselling them.

Cause I fix them up TOO well, invest too much.... and then either have to suffer a loss or have fallen in love with them and can't let go.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've learned not to purchase ANY vehicles with a mind towards reselling them.

Cause I fix them up TOO well, invest too much.... and then either have to suffer a loss or have fallen in love with them and can't let go.
Thanks Wade
Thats exactly why I have hesitated and tried to see if I could actually sell the bike or would be stuck with it. I am a fairly Large guy
( Stature/weight wise:biggrin:), so I would be a huge joke trying to ride something Like that and I have never owned any Garage Queens or Trailer Queens and don't intend to start now.
Feedback I am getting from some other folks is that the bike could bring between $700-$1000 if running and in decent condition, frankly that surprised me , I had looked at several area CL's and on Ebay and there are none listed for sale anywhere, makes me wonder if those Optimistic folks are right??
Suggesstions on where I could look to see what they are bringing?? 1982 GN 400 Suzuki, Has Mag wheels on it. Think I will at least go check it out in person next week, all I have seen so far are Pictures.
Thanks Again
Ed

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would take a chance on it. part out price is worth that 150.00 and then some.

If it runs with a title, buy it. Today.

Make it run decent and you return on on investment for hours spent will probably be pretty high. Bobbing a bike can make it look and ride horribly and is not what I would want as the next buyer. Your target buyer should include the largest segment of the population. Keeping the bike stock will appeal to the next buyer even if he wants a bobber. All it takes is a Sawzall for him to do it himself.
Thanks Slumlord
More I think about it, the more I think you are correct, it isnt as though I would lose my house if I bought it and it didnt sell! Hell! I have lost Thousands of dollars in the past, selling my race cars then 5 years later building another one! LOL, so at least the risk is minimal on this.
Thanks Again
Ed

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Ride

My daily ride in the winter is an 83 XS400 Yamaha. Paid about $250- for it, but over the years I am probably up to about $1000-. Rode in snow slush today, almost waxed out. Do I care? Nope. The small bikes are nicer to ride around town, and in crappy weather. IMO.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Did you look at it?

I have a buddy in Sevierville that could pick it up for me. That is as long as it runs[or at least is not frozen] . Gotta have a title, but he could take care of that

Reply here or PM me.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a buddy in Sevierville that could pick it up for me. That is as long as it runs[or at least is not frozen] . Gotta have a title, but he could take care of that

Reply here or PM me.
I dont think it runs, worse I just found out its been sitting outside uncovered for several years. Yes, he has a title, buuuuttt.....Maybe too big a gamble??
Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts