Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i'm looking to buy my first bike a cruiser (really don't like any other bikes)
and since i'm big and tall and don't know squat about motorcycles
i need help
here we go i'm 6'6" tall weigh 350lbs naked after i've done my #2
i have a small budget so can't buy harleys or victorys etc...

i've been looking at those bikes

Honda Shadow spirit and Kawasaki Vulcan classic
but power wise i'm lost
i've been offered a 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 in a trade against a vintage car i own.
and if i don't do the trade there's a lot of greats deals on shadow 750 and vulcan 800 and 900 compared to vulcan 1500 and shadow 1100

so please help me with good infos
(i know i have to sit on it to see if size is ok but power i cant' tell by myself)

thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
533 Posts
My BIL is your size, he might even have a couple pounds on you.

He now rides my old 1984 GL1200 Goldwing. It fits him like a glove.

Its not his first bike, but he had not ridden in years.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
What kind of riding are you wanting to do?

Is this for your everyday transportation, occasionally going out riding back roads, don't care much for passing.......60 sometimes 70 mph. Then the Honda 750 will be good enough......if your vintage car isn't worth much then go ahead and trade.

800 would be a little better, 900 would be even better.

900 carries my wife and I(about 300lb total) with enough passing power, 883 did also........but more passing power would be nice

If you're doing a bunch of 300-400 miles a day, simply put, bigger is better, My wife and I can handle this on the 900, but we're sitting on 2 seats, bigger bikes have wider/better seats.

If you're planning on touring then I'd suggest a touring bike.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
You could also look at a V-Star 1100, they're solid, reliable and you can find TONS for sale for very reasonable prices.

Dan

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Unless you are going to ride solo, you have few options other than the HD/Victory bikes. At one point I rode and really loved a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe but it comes with a 410 pound weight limit. It was a very nice bike but with the wife and I on it I was out of weight allowed. That meant I had to run with the saddle bags empty. Not very practical in my mind. I had a bike with bags for a reason.
New Victory or HD bikes are costly but you might be surprised at how reasonable a 4 or 5 years old used one can be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
finally bought a Honda Shadow Spirit 2004 with 43 000km on it got a good price after looking at the market the same kind of bike
I sat on it and felt very confortable the control felt almost perfect at my feet. compared to all the other bikes i sat on this one was the closest to perfect. sat on a vulcan mean streak but the seat of the shadow is a little higher so best for my size.
thanks for all the answers and at some point i'd like to buy an HD or Victory but got to work my ass off to afford that lol

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
"at some point i'd like to buy an HD or Victory but got to work my ass off to afford that lol"

Those are not really beginner bikes so by the time you can afford one of them you'll have lots of miles behind you. ;)

Glad you found a bike that is comfy to you. Have fun learning on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Moni sure am looking forward for that first ride but with the safety course here it'll still take about 6 weeks before i can ride my bike legally and i'll be a good boy i'll wait :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts