Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first motorcycle, my uncle gave it to me a month ago. It was in AWFUL shape and I couldn't get it to start. Turns out the starter button didn't work and he usually started it with a screwdriver.

But when I got it, it had already been sitting for years. I'm not a great mechanic or anything but I have managed to tear the whole bike down to the frame. I've got just about all the parts I need to put it back together... but I may need help from people who know what their doing.

If you want to give advice/help please say so, and I'll post pictures with my questions!

Right now I'm mainly cleaning all the parts up, and getting them ready for reassembly.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Wow! That is quite the undertaking! I wish l had the time and space to do the same thing myself. I hope it turns out to be a great experience for you!

I have never done what you are doing, but l would start by getting any resource materials you can find, ie owner's manual, repair manual, etc.and learn as much as you can about your bike. Also, there is another section here for restorations...you might look through that section, as well as this one, to see if anyone has been working on the same bike. I am finding that l can learn a ton just by what other guys are working through.

Oh, and be patient with people. I believe this is more of a Wintertime website. If you don't get much of a response from people, it's because they are out riding :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it definitely helps being a teenager and having my dad's shed to work in! It would be impossible without every little bit of help I get.

It would be a smart thing to look into some manuals, wouldn't it? Haha
And ahhh, I got it. Thanks for the advice man.

Most of my questions or concerns will probably be pretty general/easy to most people. I'll go ahead and post some tomorrow probably.

Hopefully I can get into running shape in a couple months. :D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Go for it man! Hey, do yourself a huge favor and take pictures along the way while you're at it! Not only will you be glad you have them down the road, but they will be helpful to someone else who takes on a similar project :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, well I'm definitely trying as well!

I've been lazy so far and haven't got any pictures, so I'll have to do that whenever. But my main concern is when I start to put it back together (not even there yet).

Like when I put the axels back in, should I take any steps to clean them, oil/grease them or anything like that?

Along with all the the other moving parts I have to back together, but the axel is what I'm thinking of right now.

I've got so many more concerns/question but I don't want to type that much at once haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts