Motorcycle Forum banner

Big first bike?

8K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  mccarb 
#1 ·
Everyone seems to be telling me that a 600 is huge for a first bike, but I had one very experienced rider tell me that I should get the biggest [CC] bike I possibly can for my first because I will grow tired of a smaller bike within a week. As long as I am responsible with the throttle, there should be no problem. He also added to practice on a smaller one though before actually riding the bigger one. I'm going to get a sports bike by the way. Any thoughts on this?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

For a good beginning bike, you should look for something that has 2 cylinders rather than 4. Displacement (CCs) does not matter as much as engine configuration and vehicle weight when learning. Kawasaki and Suzuki make several sport models that fit this description. These bikes are all fun to ride and any twin 250CC and over can do highway speeds.

Take a few minutes and read this entire thread:
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151947

It's full of interesting information a new rider should know when choosing a new bike.

#5 ·
I have also had an experienced rider tell me that it would be boring to get something slow. He suggested the gixxer 6. It just seems it would be overly easy to mess up. I wold really like to have a gixxer 6 in the future but im just ot sure if it will make a good first bike.....

#6 ·
I think a lot of experienced riders who say that are into riding due to the ego boost rather than for the love of riding itself. However, it's probably a lot easier to learn on the biggest bike that Harley makes than to start on a 600cc super sport. The 600cc super sport puts out a HECK of a lot more power than Harley's biggest bike. The V-twin engines in Harley's are also much more friendly to a new rider.

#7 ·
Some riders recommend bigger bikes just to make themselves look badass. I'll probably get flak for that statement but it's true, I've seen it happen in person. Someone asks them for advice and they puff out their chest and go, "Well, I guess if you're a girl anything but the latest race replica is alright, but men like me wouldn't take anything less than a literbike!"

#8 ·
Some riders recommend bigger bikes just to make themselves look badass. I'll probably get flak for that statement but it's true, I've seen it happen in person. Someone asks them for advice and they puff out their chest and go, "Well, I guess if you're a girl anything but the latest race replica is alright, but men like me wouldn't take anything less than a literbike!"
those are the ones I laugh at, it is sooooo funny watching a new rider on a bike that is way too big for them. I saw several this summer, and even left a few of them at the stop lights, with my cruiser :cool:

#9 ·
600 isn't to big for your first bike, I think that is the right size to start.
Honda's, Suzuki's and Kawasaki's all have good cycles with V-twins in that engine range. HD 883 isn't bad either. I would probably stay with a V-twin for your first bike. They're a lot more rider friendly. This just my opinion,....but good luck and I'm not trying to put down anyone else.

Ride Safe

#12 ·
Wow call off the dogs then, eh? New riders on 600 cc race reps is a touchy subject for veterans (I'm not a veteran).

If you're talking about cruisers, than I think you can certainly handle 600 cc. It's a totally different experience.

However, I would advise you to steer clear of heavy bikes. The hardest thing for new cruiser riders to learn is how to control their massive bikes at low speeds (such as in a parking lot). Drops are frequent. A lighter bike will be much less cumbersome and much easier to maneuver.

Good luck!

#14 ·
PassioneDucati,....sorry if I came across the wrong way.

But when someone ask an opinion about a bike, they're going to get a wide array of answers from all the different classes of bikes. And I don't think the answers were meant demean any of the other classes of bikes. It is apparent that the riders who are active in this forum have a deep passion for riding and are just sharing that passion and knowledge.

Ride Safe.

#15 ·
I had one very experienced rider tell me that I should get the biggest [CC] bike I possibly can for my first because I will grow tired of a smaller bike within a week. As long as I am responsible with the throttle, there should be no problem.
Within a week of riding - unless you are Rossi - you are not going to master a bike even if it's a 125cc. You WANT to get bored of a bike - that way you know your capabilities have maxed out the bike's capabilities.

Most riders take a season or two to develop their skills to master a 250-500cc. This means fluid gear shifting, proper emergency swerves and stops, deep leans on turns, etc.

He also added to practice on a smaller one though before actually riding the bigger one. I'm going to get a sports bike by the way. Any thoughts on this?
If not for your friends practice on a smaller bike comment I would say he has a death wish for you.

If you feel very confident after taking your MSF course and don't feel like upgrading - pick up a 500 or 600cc bike. That will give you more than enough power for your first few seasons.

Please do not get an 1100 and kill yourself - I don't want my insurance to go up.

#16 ·
If not for your friends practice on a smaller bike comment I would say he has a death wish for you.
Yes, and if Primalmu were there he would have your pal shot by firing squad.
:D:D:D:D

In all seriousness, I went from a 50cc scooter to a 250cc Ninja, and nearly a
thousand miles into the Ninja I can tell you this: I'll need at least another
year before I go bigger.
The lie is that you will be bored. The truth: No, you won't. take it from a guy who rides a 250. :)
And anything over 500cc is just going to run you more-- 4 or 5 grand instead of $1500-$2500.

Also consider:
in-line 4s are more expensive to insure.
In fact, when I went to check on insurance for bikes, I looked at the GS500
by Suzuki which is a good starter sport. The insurance was $70 a month for sucktastic coverage,
versus the $35 a month I pay now for full, cushy, low-deductible insurance.
So on a supersport, make it a 600cc, and figure in your age and marriage status, and prior record. Even just one ticket, not married, and under 25 and you are the prison queen for the insurance company.

Two links you should check:

good sport bikes to start on:
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-rider-forums/391524-looking-beginner-bike-look-no-further.html

why size matters: :D
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-rider-forums/354478-want-600-read.html

#17 ·
For me a 600 was the only way to go for my first bike. A 250cc bike simply isn't meant for highway driving and to me it's just as dangerous cruising down the highway with the bike shaking as it is to have a bigger bike.

With a bigger first bike, it's all about self-control in my opinion. I don't try to go screaming around turns or drive 100 mph. I take it slow and steady and am responsible.

It's really all on you and what you think you can handle.

#21 ·
My first "bike" was a suzuki 100 dirt bike. I was 14 or so and it was short lived.

My first "real" bike was a Suzuki 660 cruiser. It was a bit tough, but I didn't daily drive it. I'd drive my car to/from work, and putz around on that every afternoon or so on the back roads. Good times were had by all, until the engine blew.

Now I've just picked up my second bike, 6 years later. it's a 550, but still has plenty of power for me. I'm not after the thrill, i'm after a relaxing cruise on a Sunday afternoon with the sun out and a light breeze. I have rally cars and race cars that give me a thrill, I have zero desire to get one from my bike. I am almost most certainly not with the majority here with my feelings on that one.

If you need to drive it all day every day, anywhere you want to go somewhere, I'd get something smaller. If you can take your time, learn properly for the first few weeks without traffic or questionable situations where you'd have to respond, I'd say a bigger bike is fine. But then again, to me the 550 was the "smaller" bike, before I go ahead and get a VTX 1800 I've been eyeing for about a year now.

#22 ·
My first "bike" was a suzuki 100 dirt bike. I was 14 or so and it was short lived.

My first "real" bike was a Suzuki 660 cruiser. It was a bit tough, but I didn't daily drive it. I'd drive my car to/from work, and putz around on that every afternoon or so on the back roads. Good times were had by all, until the engine blew.

Now I've just picked up my second bike, 6 years later. it's a 550, but still has plenty of power for me. I'm not after the thrill, i'm after a relaxing cruise on a Sunday afternoon with the sun out and a light breeze. I have rally cars and race cars that give me a thrill, I have zero desire to get one from my bike. I am almost most certainly not with the majority here with my feelings on that one.

If you need to drive it all day every day, anywhere you want to go somewhere, I'd get something smaller. If you can take your time, learn properly for the first few weeks without traffic or questionable situations where you'd have to respond, I'd say a bigger bike is fine. But then again, to me the 550 was the "smaller" bike, before I go ahead and get a VTX 1800 I've been eyeing for about a year now.
actually you are with the majority of the people here, almost all of the veteran riders (and a few newer ones) are always advising people to get a smaller bike to get used to, then get the "big" bike later on. The reasons for that is we want all the new riders (that have never been on a bike) to live long enough to enjoy their rides. I wholeheartedly believe that people that start on a 1000cc sport bike, or even a cruiser that is way too heavy for them, are on the fast track to the hospital and or morgue, if I can help to stop one person from buying a bike that is way out of their league, the nI have done something that makes ME feel better about life.

#24 · (Edited)
there are exceptions, but even you have to admit that most (over 75%) of the new riders (no experience on a motorcycle) on sport bikes (inline 4 race reps) end up hurt, yes some only minor, some moderate, but most fatal. People learn at different paces, some people can pick things up real quick, some can't (and some should never even ride a bike, no matter what style of bike LOL, I mean I have seen some people on a cruiser even that should just give it up)
The main problem that I see (and this is just me) with new riders wanting a sport bike, is they want the coolest, fastest thing there is, it's all about the image. There are safer spot bikes to learn on, that still look cool. The Suzuki SV650, the Ninja 650, several V-Twin bikes out there that are not going to plant someone on their ass because they twisted the throttle a little too much that once, or throw them over the handlebars because they grabbed that lever a little too hard. This is just my opinion, and I know it is not what everyone thinks, but I will still do my best to advise anyone that asks to get a better suited bike for the learning process, then after some time getting used to it, and learning what, where, when, and how, they go out and get that litre bike they always wanted.

#25 ·
What new riders don't seem to understand is that it's not a race. Sure your bike can do 13 second ¼ mile. So can one of my cars. Your bike can do 130mph. The top speed on my SVX is 154mph. That doesn't mean everywhere I do it, at least not when the circumstances are controlled. On the track is one thing, on the highway is something entirely different.

You want to do 130mph? Go to your local race track. I've done a half dozen runs in a day for $30. The circumstances are controlled, safer, and you aren't endangering other's lives. Plus when people see you doing 130mph, they think "nice!" instead of "that *******!".

#26 ·
I can understand everything you guys are saying. I am not going to say I never got on throttle when I first got it because I did. (Granted I was only in 2nd gear at about 9k rpm) but now that I am more used to riding and all the newbie excitement has left, I now ride very very chilly. Now its no higher than 6k - 8k rpms in traffic (To be loud and annoying) and 4k -5k rpms when chillin not riding next to many people. On the freeway I ride just a little bit faster than traffic because I feel better with them behind me instead of next to me or in front of me. Granted there are still a grande amount of things to learn and I still know that. I listen to all the experienced riders I know and on here and so far as I said in my previous post the only things so far are rocks hitting me in the knees and face (I love to ride with my visor up to feel the wind). I still don't understand tho why everyone (except for my family who rides) say that my bike was a death wish. I figure I have an even chance on getting hit and killed on whatever bike I have at least this one is loud and brakes stop me quickly.

#27 ·
I'm constantly amazed by the (majority) American attitude to beginner bikes. What's the point in buying a 600cc bike if you're gonna "take it easy"?!! 600cc sporties are not designed to be taken easy! I saw someone ask a question on Yahoo about how come his gixxer wouldn't pull from 2000 rpm. Helloooooo....it's not a Fat Boy! Makes me think that most of you don't know what the last 2/3 of the throttle opening feels like. A 250 Ninja will get you in plenty of trouble if you're a new rider, and when (not "if") you drop it, at least you should be able to pick it up. As for cruisers, they're certainly easier to control at low speed, but - 500-odd lbs is still very heavy.

#30 ·
This is true. Also, 250 Ninja's, if you know how to maximize them, can be pretty sporty as well. My 550 pulls hard. I can out-accelerate any car i'm along side at a light. It's comfortable, and I can pull away from 75mph traffic with ease. My buddy's old man has a 2100cc harley. 80% underutilized. So why pay $15,000 more for an 80% you aren't going to use? Sure it's a hell of a lot nicer than mine, but he's been riding for 50 years, he knows how to ride, and he's earned his wings. I know how to ride, but that doesn't put me in the same level as him. I know how to draw, that doesn't make me Picaso. Michelangelo didn't start on the Sistine Chapel. I could manage a 2100cc bike, but I couldn't utilize it if need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.